Money well Spent!! >

Money well Spent!!

Notices

Money well Spent!!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Return on Investment? Hell No!

I don't think anyone will argue that making upgrades to engines in any performance boat will not net you the expense of a major engine upgrade. Even if one was to buy two Merc 700sci engines and the required NXT or #6 drives at about $50-60K each you would never return that investment in todays market on resale.
Don't make big upgrades in any performance boat that is complete unless you plan to keep and enjoy the boat for a long time. My thoughts here. Boats are not investments, they are disposable income enjoyment vehicles! If you can afford the cost of one, enjoy and don't even think about a financial return on the investment!

What market is the Raylar HP675efi engine upgrade directed toward. the answer there is somewhat twofold. First, the big 38-46 foot bigger offshore boats that were originally equipped with HP525efi's and are really underpowered in weight versus horsepower. Lots of Cig's, and such in this scenario. Two single engine boats 26-30 foot that are similarly slightly underpowered and the same for twin engine cats in the 32-36 foot range. The alternative for these situations would be all new engine and drive packages and those are going to be in the $25K per 100 HP increase range.
This package also makes sense for a HP525efi owner who has that engine in hours that make a major overhaul required or a boater with a damaged HP525efi. They are going to spend similar dollars on a major overhaul and still only have 525 to 550HP for the money. I feel that anytime you can spend aout $10K for a 100hp increase in a blueprinted marine performance engine with a warranty on the upgrade you are getting good value for your dollars, so about $15K for 150more horsepower on a 525 to 675 horsepower engine upgrade is right on that target point.

As for breaking the XR drives behind 675HP normally aspirated engine, its gonna depend on driving style and the age of the drives somewhat.
Remember, Merc has sold quite a few 600sci engines with XR drives all over the world. This engine with supercharging makes more torque than our new HP675efi upgrade engine because of the boost at lower rpms and I have not heard of a lot of boaters with these packages breaking a lot of Xr drives. Do some break? sure, they break behind stock HP525efis if not driven , serviced and set up right. Just some thoughts and comments for consideration.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 06-18-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever you add something that wasnt original manufacture equipment or at least an option, you dont do anything, its like that with everything. Think about it in a classic sense. A Classic car is worth more with the original type engine, not an upgraded one. Now thats not to say that you dont have an arguement to try and sell it for more later, but there is no blue book that will make your boat worth more because of those upgrades, and many potential buyers will not care that it gets 100 more hp or whatever. My advice is keep the boat original and in great shape and you will get the most out of at resale and do upgrades if YOU want to. Dont take this the wrong way but if you cant really afford it and your hoping that if you cant afford that you will get your money back you are wrong. And if you can afford it, I would take the 30 grand and get a different boat.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 342 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
You're aging me before my time here Bob!

I'm just sub average dumb fock that calls it as I see it!
Ok, I probably should have just said that it's "Good Advice." Sage does imply someone very experienced - someone who's been there and done that, before, time and time and again, year after year, ...............opps, I'm digging a deeper hole
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Ok, I probably should have just said that it's "Good Advice." Sage does imply someone very experienced - someone who's been there and done that, before, time and time and again, year after year, ...............opps, I'm digging a deeper hole

Chit, maybe I am a Sage! Sure have been there, done that, broke that, and come out the other end thinkin' to myself why exactly did I do that!

Now if you day traders would settle down and quit F'n up the market I could land some good solid dividend stocks and get my azz into a 42 with 700's and six drives!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Registered

Dude, If your looking at this performance boating thing as any kind of investment...don't. Its all monrey out the window. But think of all the fun you will have with 675HP a piece and a few Bravos.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

If you like the boat and this one is a keeper, put the money in and enjoy. But like others have said, if you plan to trade a few years keep the money for the trade.