first power boat.....29 fever? >

first power boat.....29 fever?

Notices

first power boat.....29 fever?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first power boat.....29 fever?

I'm thinking it's going to be time to get my first powerboat next year. I have officially eliminated all my debt with the exception of my mortgage. When i first started to look at power boats i thought that a fountain was out of my price range but in recent years it seems things have changed as far as boat prices. I'm thinking in about one year i should have enufed socked away to get a boat. I'm really leaning toward a 29 fever.... at first i thought a 27 would be a good choice but from what i have been reading on here a 29 is faster with the same power correct? My goal is to have a 80 mph reliable boat. My next question is ....how much will a step hull help me to achieve this? what power plant should i look for....i think a 500 is what i'm leaning towards. Any suggestions are appreciated
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are in the hunt I would skip over the 27 and go for the 29.resale is much better on the 29 and most customers looking to start in a fountain lean to the 29 (better balance)
the 27 is a nice boat if you are going to be in smaller bodys of water the 29 is a lot more flexable. Able to handle larger bodys of water but not too big to go to the local lake
my .02 Bob
Old 07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered

i boat on a river and feel that the 27 would be the perfect size...but i'm planing on going to lake Michigan a few times to..... i guess what i'm asking is "is there any down side to having a 29 instead of the 27"
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
i boat on a river and feel that the 27 would be the perfect size...but i'm planing on going to lake Michigan a few times to..... i guess what i'm asking is "is there any down side to having a 29 instead of the 27"
I know of no down side to a 29 I can tell you that in the 5 years I worked for a Fountain dealer plenty of 29s came and went we had 2 27s that never left Until we finally had them priced so they were give aways.. when customers compared the two the 29 won out every time. same thing happened with 32s and 35s The when compared the 35 won out 95 percent of the time and then the 38 42 thing They sold pretty much the same so 27s 32s and 38s are in a class by them selves and have there own following.. but they are all Fountains
and all good Boats.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered

do you feel the stepped hull is important......or would i be better off looking for an older boat for less $$. I have been boats for many years and do work for a few of the marinas and shops around here when they get busy for cash. I'm hoping to find a boat that needs a complete interior re due as i have been doing that for the last 8 years for winter work when i'm laid of and could save ALOT of $$ doing my own boat
Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the boat you are looking for, a 29 with a 500 EFI. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. It's a great boat, I have taken it 35 miles offshore in the Pacific a few times and it does good. The 80 mph mark isn't going to be realistic with this boat unless you have quite a bit more power. I believe that with a 575 the boat is closer to like 78. The best i have had this boat was 75 in the salt with a light load; however, 72ish is realistic all day in the heat. The 500 EFI package also helps the boat to fly nice and level, see:

[email protected]

Last edited by Racerngr1; 07-08-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say there is no downside at all of a 29 over a 27 other than the price. After a lot of shopping, there are just much better deals on the 27's as stated above. I love mine, but I would not be upset if I had to upgrade to a 29 with a 525EFI and yes, the 29 is faster than the 27 with the same power...it has a bigger step
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered

How much speed do you gain having the step.... i have never drive a step hull...just straight. I have a feeling i would have start slow and work my way up to faster turns.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was at the Miami Boat Show and a customer asked how fast could he turn with his step hull boat .. Before I could answer the Question Reggie was within ear shot and stepped into the conversation .. he said why do you want to go fast in a turn?? The guy said why do you ask? Reggies answer was unless you are in a Race there is no reason to turn at high speed! slow down make a safe turn and then power on!! I have seen the results of fast turn Bat wings in step hull boats and straight hull boats Either one will do bad things if you push the limits!! so don't be afraid of a step hull boat they are faster you just have to respect them and use your head!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered

ya i guess your right.....the spot i do most of my boating has long sweeping turns. I have seen lots of stepped boats do just fine

Blown thank you for all your responses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.