Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Any other 38/700 owners out there? >

Any other 38/700 owners out there?

Notices

Any other 38/700 owners out there?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other 38/700 owners out there?

Bought the boat in April. Have done one poker run and have about 15 hours now. Last boat was 42 Sonic so BIG difference in performance.

Tattletale shows 114 I have had to 111. Curious as to (safe) trim/tab settings at WOT. I have been running tabs at about 3 1\2 and drives around 5 1/2. This thing is a true missile
Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had our 38/700 for 3 years. 125 hrs and still love it. Usually run the tabs at 3, and use the smart craft digital trim indicators at about 7.6, which is just a little over 6 on the manual trim indicators. If you run hard and have the tabs around 2 1/2 you dont gain any speed, and the boat will be a little squirrly running wide open when you let off the sticks. What does Fountains test report show for tabs and drives? Have fun, be safe.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. Bought the boat from Shogren. His advice was never above 3 on tabs at WOT. The boat seems more settled at 3 1\2. Wants to run flat so trim above 6 seems no effect to speed (cool rooster though). I am respectful of the power!

I keep getting this fault on smartcraft "FUEL LVL CKT HI" which sometimes puts the engines into guardian mode. Any insight?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered

Forgot to answer your question. Not sure what the Fountain test settings were. When I find out I will post.

Hopefully Reggie will show at 1000 Islands PR and I can ask the man himself!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 292SR1
Thanks for the reply. Bought the boat from Shogren. His advice was never above 3 on tabs at WOT. The boat seems more settled at 3 1\2. Wants to run flat so trim above 6 seems no effect to speed (cool rooster though). I am respectful of the power!

I keep getting this fault on smartcraft "FUEL LVL CKT HI" which sometimes puts the engines into guardian mode. Any insight?
Sounds like someone tried to set up Smartcraft fuel calibrations. I didnt have any sensors installed from Fountain, and mine did the same thing. If you go to the main menu, system setup, tank setup. pick tank type per sensor, and they should be set to tank 1 and 2, unused.
Bought 2 Fountains from Scott, great folks. Tabs at 3 1/2 seem to bury the bow too much. 3 is level with the bottom. But run the boat they way you feel comfortable.
If you call Fountain factory and give them you serial # they will fax the performance report too you. It will show all the settings used along with temps, oil, water when running. Will also show tab settings, and trim settings when testing the boat. Brian Forehand is the guy that does all the high performance testing at Fountain (above 100 mph). Great guy, if you get a chance to talk to him at a poker run, he will answer more questions about your boat than Reggie. Dont get me wrong....Reggie is a great buy, but Brian knows all the little ins and outs about driving that boat.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Someone in canada barrel rolled at 110 from letting off sticks to quickly..WOW didn't think that could happen.

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
We have had our 38/700 for 3 years. 125 hrs and still love it. Usually run the tabs at 3, and use the smart craft digital trim indicators at about 7.6, which is just a little over 6 on the manual trim indicators. If you run hard and have the tabs around 2 1/2 you dont gain any speed, and the boat will be a little squirrly running wide open when you let off the sticks. What does Fountains test report show for tabs and drives? Have fun, be safe.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

What are you guys running for props on these 38/700 boats ?

My 35 has 37P 6Blades on #6 drives, definitely gets the rear end loose when you get out of the throttles.

Seems like fewer blades would help reduce this effect ?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

16 5/8 X 39 pitch six blades on our 38/700 boat. Kelly nice boat. Met the owner when boat was new at Jax Poker run. It had the 700's in it then. He and his wife (I think) were very nice.
The only time ours gets loose is if you really chop the throttles alot running very fast. Im talking Jet Ski doing something stupid in front of you fast!!! dont ask me how I know. As long as the tabs are at 3 or below its really not that bad even doing that. Other than that its a very stable, predictable ride. As much as something can be running over 110 mph on a surface full of bumps and holes coming from every angle.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 07-26-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Registered

Beak Boater: Thanks for the Fountain contact info. I will contact them for the spec sheet. Will try your Smartcraft fix too.

I have always been careful not to chop the throttles on any boat, this one for sure. When those blowers are at full boil it takes some time to slow down even after you back out of the throttle a bit!