aft lift prop? >

aft lift prop?

Notices

aft lift prop?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mapism
Nope, it's actually one of the latest ever built, model year 07.
But the principle is pretty much valid for any V hull with a single screw: all other things being equal, a RH prop introduces a list to port, and a LH prop does the opposite.
It's also intuitive, if you think about it: the lower half of the prop is the one which "grabs" more water, and with a RH prop the lower half of the prop "pushes" the boat to rotate counterclockwise (looking at the boat from astern) around its longitudinal axis.
This applies also to boats with the outdrive installed deep in the water, but the effect is even more relevant when the outdrive is rather high, as it normally is on a 27 Fever.
On mine for instance the X dim is 19", which means that the prop shaft is only 2" 13/16 under the hull bottom, because on Bravos the distance between the engine shaft and the prop shaft is 21" 13/16.
Not to be critical or disrespectful of how things should work in principle, but there have been times in my life that practical expierence and application have laughed in principle's face. I think if you were to do a survey of pre '95 27 Fever (non-stepped hull) owners you will find that most, if not all, have experienced a starboard list to some extent while running a RH prop.
BTW...I spent some time on Italy's west coast betwenn Naples and Rome...where are you located?

Last edited by Thunderstruck27; 09-02-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add text
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered

huh never thought of that your good mapism , also makes sense . i have talked to a few people that have let me know that fountain 27 's came with left hand props especially my years (before steps) and that they work better with them and are more efficent . which is why i want to try one , not to disrespect bblades but a bravo 1 left hand prop is f'n expensive and i have found these powertech ofx props to work on other big single screw boats just not fountains so being that they are $410.00 i figure why not !
Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck27
Not to be critical or disrespectful of how things should work in principle, but...
LOL, yeah, I agree. Theory alone is only good for school desks.
Of course there are other factors affecting any boat behaviour, but how the same boat which lists to stbd with a RH prop can run flat with a LH prop, that's beyond me.
But surely around here there are folks who are much more expert than myself on this. I'd love to hear from them.

Re. your last question, I'm located in northern Italy, and I enjoy my Fever on lake Como.
If you're planning to return around here in the future, just let me know and we could go for a ride.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by money455
i have talked to a few people that have let me know that fountain 27 's came with left hand props especially my years (before steps) and that they work better with them and are more efficent.
Actually, also mine, which is stepped, came from the factory with a LH 24" Bravo I, and I'm now running a 26" labbed Bravo I (also LH).
Never tried a RH prop though, but I guess it couldn't get any better. She runs flat and stable, and reaches 70mph when lightly loaded, with the stock 496ho.
On the other hand, there are guys who run a RH prop and reported awful results after trying a LH prop, as for instance SDFever in this thread.
There's no real substitute for testing, I reckon.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mapism
Actually, also mine, which is stepped, came from the factory with a LH 24" Bravo I, and I'm now running a 26" labbed Bravo I (also LH).
Never tried a RH prop though, but I guess it couldn't get any better. She runs flat and stable, and reaches 70mph when lightly loaded, with the stock 496ho.
On the other hand, there are guys who run a RH prop and reported awful results after trying a LH prop, as for instance SDFever in this thread.
There's no real substitute for testing, I reckon.
Was anything discussed about the actual picth of 26 Bravo when you bought it? I don't know for sure, but I've heard that Bravo I's are actually 2 pitchs less than what is stamped on them. Also, do you know anything about the Bravo I being a bow lift or stern lift prop? Oh yeah, you're on one beautiful lake. It must be nice running a 27 Fever on Como!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck27
Was anything discussed about the actual picth of 26 Bravo when you bought it? I don't know for sure, but I've heard that Bravo I's are actually 2 pitchs less than what is stamped on them. Also, do you know anything about the Bravo I being a bow lift or stern lift prop?
I didn't discuss anything directly, 'cause the 26" prop was already on the boat when I bought her, fitted by the previous owner.
But according to what I read around here, the Bravo I should be 1" shorter than its nominal pitch, not 2".
And as I'm told, it's a good all-round prop. Probably neither the absolute best for top speed (Hydro?), nor for acceleration (Maximus?), but a very good compromise.
I had a talk with Brett of BBlades after I bought the boat, but when I gave him my numbers he was honest enough to tell me that I'm already getting all I can expect, from this hull with stock power.