Switch gearcases to make props turn out rather that inward

Notices

Switch gearcases to make props turn out rather that inward

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvMy47Ftn
I ran my 47 yesterday with them turning out and hated it. Lots of hop in the mid to upper end and overall handled pretty crappy and didn't ride as well when the water was a little rougher. Did run 89 so it lost very little on the top end just didn't feel good at all. With that 3rd one hanging between them I'm not sure how that would compare to a twin though. Docking is what you get use to I think. Always seemed to me a twin was easier than a triple and I've almost forgot how to dock a single.

One thing I have learned is usually Fountain does things for a reason. I wouldn't listen to them on my old 47 about standoff boxes, I just had to add them anyway, and they were right, drove like crap and didn't help speed one bit. That was on the old original smaller step on an early 98 so who knows on the bigger step but I bet I can guess. I think I'll leave this 06 like they set it up from the factory.

What power is in your 47? Gen? Did they change the bottoms at all? Any issues with a 2002?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current 47 is an 06 with 525's and the old one was a early 98 and came with 500hp's. Mid-year on the 98's is when they went to the bigger step which was faster but gave up some handling. I can only remeber because I bought mine out of stock in Sept97 from Raymonds at LOTO and was pretty pissed when the new bottom came out just months later. I had planned to order and was talked into what was in stock. As far as the 02's I can't say if there were any specific issues with them. I think the bottom was revised again around 05 but someone else will have to verify that because I'm not sure.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about when your put the foward drive in reverse to turn props in? they say it loads the other side of the gear making it easier to break teeth,kinda like bending a paper clip back and forth.being reason for swaping the drives side to side.Any input on this?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i routinely swap drives at specific service intervals.in my experience thjis has helped prolong drive life, especially in higher h.p or rougher user applications. you do in fact use the other side of the teeth on the gear set as well as cone clutch. this is usually never a factor as for breaking teeth un less the drive in question has serious time on it.
a for out than in, steps = in, straight= out as for fountains. handling is more the result than in most often( no major speed gains) expected significant speed gains
as stated above swap props. if u like it than do the cables. you may want to consider a 5 blade maximus if handling and docking are of more importance than top end. usually will ad 7 - 11 in the cruise and docking is a big improvement.

good luck