42 hook bottom >

42 hook bottom

Notices

42 hook bottom

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

So , this year I had the hook sanded off to the original bottom . The difference is dramatic , carries over the waves much better . Whomever modified this hull did a superb job but I can't fathom why it was done .
Next I may cut the transom step back in . Does anyone have a clue why they would have filled this section in ? Should I gain speed with a transom step ? ( see photos in post #9 )
This is a 1998 42 with trip Merc 525 sc

Last edited by aex; 08-07-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't believe that someone would try to ruin a perfectly good hull design.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
I can't believe that someone would try to ruin a perfectly good hull design.

Good luck.
I wouldn't say it's ruined . The boat runs well , mid upper 80's depending on load / weather . The company that did this did an expert job and in no way compromised the original hull . Do you have any constructive input ?
BTW , I've heard Reggie blueprinted his "perfectly good hull designs" at considerable effort and expense for special projects .
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
I wouldn't say it's ruined . The boat runs well , mid upper 80's depending on load / weather . The company that did this did an expert job and in no way compromised the original hull . Do you have any constructive input ?

My apologies. My point was only that Reggie had countless dollars in designing a very fast hull, and as I have never heard this sort of modification making a 42 faster I was somewhat surprised. But hey, I haven't learned anything new today....yet.

By looking at the pictures it looks like quality work. With that being said I would imagine that the original step is under the "new framing and FG work and should be easy to access.

Originally Posted by aex
BTW , I've heard Reggie blueprinted his "perfectly good hull designs" at considerable effort and expense for special projects .
This is true...the best way to find out is probably to call RF Power boats and ask him what his take on this hull is.

Good luck.

Last edited by Precision; 08-07-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

glad its better... I wonder why someone would do that mod?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aex
Does anyone have a clue why they would have filled this section in ?
Should I gain speed with a transom step ?
Q1) the only reasons I can think of is to have the boat sit higher on the water when not under way, and maybe also make her jump out of the water a tad faster. Neither reasons are good enough, 'fiusakme.

Q2) in theory yes, absolutely. The factory X dimension surely was calibrated for the original notched transom, and filling that part of the stern means that the legs should have been lowered accordingly.
But since you previously said that the trim is not effective, probably they didn't mess also with the outdrives. So, by removing the filling, you should now bring the hull and its business end back to the most efficient setup.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Man Im sorry you bought a boat then had to deal with this....on one of the most successful hulls in history no less.....Id be REALLY pizzed at the seller for not disclosing the mods to the hull
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
My apologies. My point was only that Reggie had countless dollars in designing a very fast hull, and as I have never heard this sort of modification making a 42 faster I was somewhat surprised. But hey, I haven't learned anything new today....yet.

By looking at the pictures it looks like quality work. With that being said I would imagine that the original step is under the "new framing and FG work and should be easy to access.

This is true...the best way to find out is probably to call RF Power boats and ask him what his take on this hull is.

Good luck.
It's all good brother .
This is a real good running boat , good economy ( for what it is ) good speed , good water handling , and three not two engines so if you lose one you can plane on two and cruise no problem .
I have no complaints , just a few questions .

Originally Posted by blownincome
glad its better... I wonder why someone would do that mod?
Thank you , I like a boat that's a little loose . I'm actually a cat man .

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Man Im sorry you bought a boat then had to deal with this....on one of the most successful hulls in history no less.....Id be REALLY pizzed at the seller for not disclosing the mods to the hull
The seller ( 2nd owner ) had no idea . I've been told on lake boats a mod like this is not uncommon because the waves are close together and you just ride through them .
All I know is someone spent a lot of money doing this and I'd like to know why .
I've run 86 on gps loaded and cruise 65 all day , again a great boat .
Old 08-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The hook will kill the speed & make it run real flat on the nose. The notch filled hurts the speed as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

we had a 99 big step trip 525sc that ran 92 stock from factory. and 95 96 with smaller pulleys and 30 pitch props

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.