Thinking about raising my drives >

Thinking about raising my drives

Notices

Thinking about raising my drives

Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about raising my drives

Im thinking about raising my x on my drives. I have the boat completely apart. Engines, drives, transom assy, are all out for paint, but while I'm at it why not go up 2". I don't have the 6k or so for shortys, cause its going into paint and interior. I already have all the materials to do all the glass work since I have been doing small repairs in all the usual stress areas. The only issue that I can see is making new tailpipes sinice the tips can't go up, but that shouldn't be a big deal. It is a 2000 35 twin step with 500efis. It seems like the drives are pretty deep on this boat. I went out in a 2005 w/525s and that boat seems to have the drives alot higher. It didn't come up on plane anything like mine does. It seemed to throw more of a roostertail too. I just don't want to go too high and have planing issues. Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

After all is said and done with all the work involved with relocating the drives, and I realize you intend to do the glass work yourself, by the time you get new engine mounts, tailpipes etc, might just be cheaper in the long run to just do the shorter lowers. A complete re-rig can have a lot of hidden costs, shorties are a very simple bolt on and go deal.

To start with you need to know exactly what your "X" dimension is right now, then compare that to the "X" of newer model 35 twin steps. The newer boats will definetly have a higher "X" than yours. I believe you can match the newer ones with shortie lowers, and for less than the cost to re-rig the hull.

The "X" on my '06 is as high as Fountain went on the side by side 35's. Brian Forehand did tell me that they built a couple boats at the end of the '06 model run with my "X" and -2" shorties but they needed 6 blade Herrings to make them come on plane and run. The speed gain was minimal.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-04-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would save money doing it now, of course the lowers would be the ultimate way to go for ease. But if you have aluminum angle brackets bolted to the stringers that your motor mounts bolt to just make new ones 2" taller. Depending on what exhaust you have it shouldnt be a problem if your exhaust tips are connected with rubber exhaust hose
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

My x from fountain is 17 1/2 x D34" Centers. Do you know what yours is? I have done this before on my old Baja. I am mainly cleaning up the engine compartment. I even have the tubing for the tails left over from fabing some others. I just don't want to go too high and have to run herrings to get it on plane. If I could pick up 3-4 by doing this and throwing on some nosecones I would be happy.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered

Default Big difference

Huge difference in drive heigth from 2000 t0 2006 Between 4 and 05 When most drastic changes happened 2000 may have been cut around 18/19 inches, you can go a lot higher and do the right things with props, cup, hub length, and cavitation plate to get it on plane with no problem. as long as you dont go thru the hatch the job is as easy as glassing up the bottom of the hole, dowelling the stud holes, moving the motor mounts for alignment and the hardest for most is modifiing tail pipes which isnt hard if you know a good welder. Good luck with your project hope it works out for you. Raise it up youre that close it will definitly be faster. Its cheaper to space it down then it is to get to the point you are at.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by C.I.M.
My x from fountain is 17 1/2 x D34" Centers. Do you know what yours is? I have done this before on my old Baja. I am mainly cleaning up the engine compartment. I even have the tubing for the tails left over from fabing some others. I just don't want to go too high and have to run herrings to get it on plane. If I could pick up 3-4 by doing this and throwing on some nosecones I would be happy.

Mine is a 2006, built with a 19" X on 34" centers. From what I have been told all '06's were this way, wit the previously mentioned pair excepted, as well as most of the '05's. Before that during '04 and '03 most were at 18 1/4" X's. I own three sets of props and have test run more, and in my opinion any higher and you will need something like Hering 6 blades to get on plane without a lot of BS.

Have you considered just buying the -2" cases, Imco or Merc, with the shorter shaft and then using the rest of the guts from your present lowers? That would put you essentially the same as a 19.5" level, and pretty cheap to do. No re-rig, no exhaust, and without the weeks of glass work!

Based on my experience with my boat, IMO, I would consider the Imco -1" case and shaft with the rest of your lower internals, a set of well done props, and you should see the 3-4 mph gain you are looking for. Labbed 32 Bravos might be just the ticket with your 500 EFI's.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-05-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Yes, Im still considering just putting on shortys, but it would probably have to wait til next year. I plan on re rigging it anyway cause they are done kind of sloppy to begin with. Plus Im going to smooth the engine compartment and gelcoat it to match the paint. Or gelcoat it white and paint it. I havent decided yet.

Right now I'm running the original 29 hydros, but when I bought the boat it also came with a set of 30 bravos. It turns the 29s a little better. If it needed 32 labs that would be great since I already have one from my previous baja. Thanks for all the info.