Bilge Pump Switches, Wiring bilge pump >

Bilge Pump Switches, Wiring bilge pump

Notices

Bilge Pump Switches, Wiring bilge pump

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge Pump Switches, Wiring bilge pump

I bought two of the Rule Mate 1100 automatic pumps (built in switches). My boat had the Auto Sensing Pumps (comes on every 2 mins checking for water resistance) beforeI killed the power to them because of battery drain. The Rules' instruction show Black Wirefrom pump to negative battery, solid Brown Wire on pump to automatic switch position, Brown/White Wire on pump to Manual override switch position, and a power source wire to a three way switch. My problem is my bilge switches are only two position. I stink at resolving electrical problems. How do I wire these pumps properly with only a two position switch in a Fountain? Is there a three way switch that can be intergrated into the gang of toggles behind the dash, if so wher can i find them?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Registered

You need a SPDT (Single pole Double Throw) switch. One side or 'throw' for Manual on circuit, one side to switch on the water sensing (Auto) circuit.

So it would be like an ON-OFF-ON switch.

Look at your current switch and see who the manufacture is, then you should be able to find a SPDT to replace what sounds like you currently have is a SPST.

http://www.boatfix.com/shop5/store/l...strSearch=SPDT

The switches labled as ON-OFF-ON are what you want, (ON)-OFF-(ON) would be the same thing but a momentary switch that springs back to OFF if you let off the switch.

Last edited by c_deezy; 03-29-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered

Can I just wire my brown(auto mode) to full time hot when the battery switches are on and the brown/white wire from the pump to the on/off switch that is in the dash to give me manual override to turn pump on? I really want my battery switches to turn everything off when in storage. I would leave my switches on if leaving the boat in the water.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pitts1313
Can I just wire my brown(auto mode) to full time hot when the battery switches are on and the brown/white wire from the pump to the on/off switch that is in the dash to give me manual override to turn pump on? I really want my battery switches to turn everything off when in storage. I would leave my switches on if leaving the boat in the water.

Yes
Black wire to ground.
Brown to full time 12V+ (or to battery switch as you wish)
Brown/white to your 2 position (On/Off)dash manual override switch that has a 12V+.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-29-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys! got em hooked up. Decided that having the auto switch hot all the time was okay. Sometimes i get a little water in over the rear at the loading ramp. This way pumps would clear the bilge before I get in the boat to turn the switches.