Tabs/Drives Position on 32'? >

Tabs/Drives Position on 32'?

Notices

Tabs/Drives Position on 32'?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tabs/Drives Position on 32'?

i just got a single step, 1998 32' Fever with Carb HP500's and took the boat out for the 2nd time yesterday and am getting to know this boat. I wanted to ask those with similar models where you keep the tabs/drives for general cruising and also at top speed.

What Ive noticed at top end around 84mph, it starts to walk a little so i bring my tabs down to 2 1/2 or so. At this speed I had the drives at about 4. I feel the boat could go a little faster with more trip but I'm not sure how much stress the Bravo I's can handle? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

on plane, set 3 tab/3 drive this is neutral to the running surface of the boat, most fountains see top speed some where around 5-5.5 on the drives tabs set for what ever makes the boat feel stable 3.5 or what ever it takes to level the boat side to side. Running anything less than 3 on the tabs make them inafective.

Last edited by blownincome; 05-15-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Blown is right anything above 3 (2- 2.5) and they don't do anything. some have stops so they can't be raised.

Mine goes the same speed with drives at 5 or at 5.5. And yes the 32's are pretty lose at those speeds, with tabs above 3.

BTW

I have HP500EFI's

As for speed, if your motors are stock you are right there with the speed.

If you take it easy getting on plane I wouldn't worry to much about the drives, the boat only weighs around 7200lbs dry, and with 500hp they seem to last.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

I am relatively new to my boat as well, it's an '05 35' lightning with 525s. My test sheet top speed was with the drives at 4.5 and tabs at 2.5. With these settings I have the same problem when I make speed runs as far as the boat wanting to roll a little side to side. Would similar tab/drive settings (3/5) work on my 35? In bold print on the sheet it says "do not trim drive beyond 5 above 1200 RPM".
Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drksuroo
I am relatively new to my boat as well, it's an '05 35' lightning with 525s. My test sheet top speed was with the drives at 4.5 and tabs at 2.5. With these settings I have the same problem when I make speed runs as far as the boat wanting to roll a little side to side. Would similar tab/drive settings (3/5) work on my 35? In bold print on the sheet it says "do not trim drive beyond 5 above 1200 RPM".
Setting the tabs at 2.5 take them out of the running surface equation non effective if you want to see what it does for the boat set them to 3 and while on the trailer look at how they are positioned @3 they are flat to the running surface any thing less is Negitive tab the drives at 3 are at a right angle to the running surface , As for the drive setting once at top speed play with it if you go above 5 and it scrubs speed go back to 5 ,I have a twin step 35 500 efi, every water condition changes where you will see top speed at what setting ... mine in light chop 5.5 on the drives 3.5 on the tabs (adds a little transom lift)85.5 on gps
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the 98 32's they have stops on the shock shaft of the k planes so they won't come up all the way, I asume at a nutral position to add stabilaty at higher speed's.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JMPH
on the 98 32's they have stops on the shock shaft of the k planes so they won't come up all the way, I asume at a nutral position to add stabilaty at higher speed's.
My 1998, 32' goes all the way up to "0".
Old 05-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it goes up to zero because that is where the indicator is set for, but if you look there are spacers on the shock to keep trim tab from coming all the up for example on a 35 fountain.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by drksuroo
I think it may be a Fountain trait. On my boat I keep the tabs down a little at 3.5 and trim the drives up to maybe 4 as I increase speed for stability .Once I get the drives where I think they should be I tab up to where it runs smoothly (mine has stops, they are even with the hull at 3). Then I can trim the drives up to see where I get the most speed. I can ususally get up enough speed to drive through the rolling (usually hapens at 78-80 mph) from side to side but that depends on water conditions (chop, direction of waves hitting the hull, into the wind vs running with it). Once I get past 80+ I am usually smooth sailing or I have to apply some tabs lightly (3-3.5).
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help I will just have to experiment more. I'll check the tabs on the lift to see where they are. I think some good water would help! Seems like there's always chop or wind or something messing with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.