Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
35EX vs 38 >

35EX vs 38

Notices

35EX vs 38

Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

I have a 35 Twin step 496 and for me it was the best package combo. We mainly do ocean boating and reliability and low maintenance were paramount in my decision. Plus the delta in cost between the 496 package and blue motors was substantial when we built the boat new. It is WAY cheaper to insure as well.

Sure, I am probably 8 to 10 mph slower on the top end compared to a 525 boat and the gap is even less with a 500boat. But the majority of the boating conditions we experience up here rarely allow for continuous WOT runs. So, when just cruising around with my blue motored buddies we all keep the same pace regardless of the hardware in the bilge.

PLUS, after hundreds of hours on my hour meters, I have changed fluids and impellers. That's it and I don't expect that to change. The majority of 525 boats with the same hours have already had header problems or needed motors pulled for top end work. $$$$

So, having 496's may not be the sexiest thing to have in my bilge, but it more than works for me. I cruise in the mid 50's and top out at 80mph. That is with full gear and fuel. I also run XR's which rob a little top end too. But, when I am ready to freshen my motors, I can always go more power. But at this rate it will be a LONG way off before my motors ever need to come out.

Oh, and as for the argument that the 496 boats don't hold their value or are a hard sell, to me that sounds like and EXCELLENT opportunity for the potential buyer.

Funny, I know a lot of blue motor Fountains sitting on the sale lot because potential buyers are nervous about headers and the dreaded top end jobs from deferred maintenance. There is at least one 35 twin step 500 boat on these boards that has been for sale forever. Guess what the hour meter reading is.....around 300. Time to deduct a valve job from the sale price! Can you imagine buying a six figure boat and having to yank the motors before you even go boating? Or take your chances? Sounds like fun...not.

Do the math. A cheaper "hard to sell" 496 boat with 300 hours, or a blue motor boat with 300 hours that hasn't been gone through yet.....which would you buy?

Also, don't worry about a side a side motor set up. They are not a problem to work on for most maintenance items.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

That is some good points on blue over black.

Now Jason, can i borrow your son, I have a bilge pump that needs replaced and the only way I am going to be able to do it is to pull the motor
Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
I have a 35 Twin step 496 and for me it was the best package combo. We mainly do ocean boating and reliability and low maintenance were paramount in my decision. Plus the delta in cost between the 496 package and blue motors was substantial when we built the boat new. It is WAY cheaper to insure as well.

Sure, I am probably 8 to 10 mph slower on the top end compared to a 525 boat and the gap is even less with a 500boat. But the majority of the boating conditions we experience up here rarely allow for continuous WOT runs. So, when just cruising around with my blue motored buddies we all keep the same pace regardless of the hardware in the bilge.

PLUS, after hundreds of hours on my hour meters, I have changed fluids and impellers. That's it and I don't expect that to change. The majority of 525 boats with the same hours have already had header problems or needed motors pulled for top end work. $$$$

So, having 496's may not be the sexiest thing to have in my bilge, but it more than works for me. I cruise in the mid 50's and top out at 80mph. That is with full gear and fuel. I also run XR's which rob a little top end too. But, when I am ready to freshen my motors, I can always go more power. But at this rate it will be a LONG way off before my motors ever need to come out.

Oh, and as for the argument that the 496 boats don't hold their value or are a hard sell, to me that sounds like and EXCELLENT opportunity for the potential buyer.

Funny, I know a lot of blue motor Fountains sitting on the sale lot because potential buyers are nervous about headers and the dreaded top end jobs from deferred maintenance. There is at least one 35 twin step 500 boat on these boards that has been for sale forever. Guess what the hour meter reading is.....around 300. Time to deduct a valve job from the sale price! Can you imagine buying a six figure boat and having to yank the motors before you even go boating? Or take your chances? Sounds like fun...not.

Do the math. A cheaper "hard to sell" 496 boat with 300 hours, or a blue motor boat with 300 hours that hasn't been gone through yet.....which would you buy?

Also, don't worry about a side a side motor set up. They are not a problem to work on for most maintenance items.
Thanks for the input as you have pretty much summed up what i was thinking whenb comparing the 2 power packages. For the boating we do, the extra power and maintenance cost, I really cant justify it. I am more than happy with an 80 MPH boat. Its not like we do alot of WOT runs or long poker runs where we are trying to hang with the big boys all day.
Hell the last 2 poker runs we did, it was a pontoon boat and a ski boat that one the damn pots!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
That is some good points on blue over black.

Now Jason, can i borrow your son, I have a bilge pump that needs replaced and the only way I am going to be able to do it is to pull the motor
LOL! sure man when do you need him? His road labor rate is $85 hr! Especially since he blew his new miss geico RC boat up already!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the single step 35, 496's will run mid-upper 70's whereas the 500EFI's run low 80's with "normal" people and fuel loads. For the twin step 35's, I don't know what the 496's will run, but the 500EFI's run 84-87 mph with normal fuel and people loads. 500EFI's don't have the header concerns of the 525's, but in the 2000 - 2002 timeframe, there were no 525 EFI twin steps. I don't disagree about the topend maintenance of the blue motors - that is something to consider.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by debcod2
OK, so heres the deal, we have a Formula 292 fastec now and it is a great all around boat but i have been looking and wanting to go to either a 35 or 38 for awhile now and well the wife brought it up the other day about lookinbg for a new boat so I guess its game on!

Formula makes a great boat but I am planning on joining the Fountain family mainly due to them being a little lighter, faster, etc.

I looked at a clean 2003 35 EX today with 496's and she rides great, seemed to have plenty of power, impressed with the handling and it didnt hurt that the wife was diggin it!

I am however a little on the bubble here since I dont want to regret buying something after the fact.

We mainly boat here on Lake Lanier in GA and we do tend to trailer it around from time to time to other inland lakes.

We stay on it overnight maybe once or twice a year at the most.

This all being said, is it really worth my time to search for a 38 with bigger motors, more weight, more expense, etc or is the 35 EX the best option?

I have had a couple guys that have had 38's in the past say they would go back to a 35 since they are more nimble for docking and trailering, cockpit area is roughly the same, speeds are good, etc.

i have a 3500 so towing either isnt an issue there.

Just looking for some of the pros and cons of each for reference to help us in making the decision.

Thanks
Jason
I had a 35x with HP 500s and loved it, but then moved up to a 38 Fever with 525 efis and I greatly prefer the 38 over the 35.

The 35 is a great handling boat, nimble, and takes the chop well. The 38 is an equally great handling boat, maybe just a tad less nimble when doing a 360 turn in a tight channel, but still a really fun and nimble boat. Towing either with a 350 is a piece of cake. Where there is no comparison between the two is in the rough water ride. Hands down the 38's takes rough water much much better than the 35s. I mean there is no comparison between how much more secure the 38 is in rough water vs the 35.

Being on an inland lake, I too worried about loosing that sporty feel that the 35's have - which is why I didnt go for a 42. I owned the 35 for two full seasons and really enjoyed the boat, but I have now owned the 38 going on 7 seasons and I have yet to once look back and think that the 35 was more fun to drive. That being said, since it is a bigger boat some do feel the need to make the 38 go faster than the 35 in order to get the same thrill out of the boat, and of course that does cost money. Either way, they are both great boats that are really fun to drive.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered

If you can, try and find a 35 lightning to add to your comparison. The 35 Ex is a great boat, but the 35 twin step lightning is a big upgrade in every aspect. Plus that added step is basically free speed.

When I was getting ready to buy, I had my heart set on the Executioner but one ride in the lightning changed my mind. Yes, it was that different!

Last edited by techman; 06-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I had a 35x with HP 500s and loved it, but then moved up to a 38 Fever with 525 efis and I greatly prefer the 38 over the 35.

The 35 is a great handling boat, nimble, and takes the chop well. The 38 is an equally great handling boat, maybe just a tad less nimble when doing a 360 turn in a tight channel, but still a really fun and nimble boat. Towing either with a 350 is a piece of cake. Where there is no comparison between the two is in the rough water ride. Hands down the 38's takes rough water much much better than the 35s. I mean there is no comparison between how much more secure the 38 is in rough water vs the 35.

Being on an inland lake, I too worried about loosing that sporty feel that the 35's have - which is why I didnt go for a 42. I owned the 35 for two full seasons and really enjoyed the boat, but I have now owned the 38 going on 7 seasons and I have yet to once look back and think that the 35 was more fun to drive. That being said, since it is a bigger boat some do feel the need to make the 38 go faster than the 35 in order to get the same thrill out of the boat, and of course that does cost money. Either way, they are both great boats that are really fun to drive.
You make some good points here as well and I appreciate that.
My wife and i have been going back and forth non stop and seem to keep coming back to how our boating has changed over the years, the 35' seems to be the most practical at this point. Plus it seems we may be able to work out a really good deal on a 35X with low hours that seems like it might be to good to pass up.

boat shopping is fun but I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it can be with so many decisions!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Curious, for guys like me that are so used to throttles on the right which is just second nature to me, how long did it take everyone to get used to the throttles on the left?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

About 60 seconds.....Seriously, it takes no time to master the controls on the left.

So many benefits too. If you are right handed it puts your strong arm on the wheel where it should be. For passenger throttling/trimming it is perfect (hint helping your significant other with driver training). And I like that I can stand between the bolsters when docking to get the best all around perspective of the boat when tight menuevering.

Can you tell I am a fan of this boat? HA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.