Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Possibly Looking to Buy Fountain Next Summer--Advice? >

Possibly Looking to Buy Fountain Next Summer--Advice?

Notices

Possibly Looking to Buy Fountain Next Summer--Advice?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't buy another 27 either, I really enjoyed mine, but it's just not big enough....a fast little boat, but when the weather gets bad, it gets real small, real quick.

Save your pennies and go for the 29.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would even reccomend this. You are not new to boating but performance boating is a different world. I also went from a 23ft crownline to a 29ft fountain its a lot different. There is less places for gear and people, maint cost more and the fuel cost. If you have a family and think you are going to fish, tube, ski, etc behind a 27-29ft Fever you are going to be in for a big surprise. It might be worthwhile to buy something that is maybe 15 grand you can find a 25-27ft for that price, try it out for a year. As long as you buy the right boat you shouldnt take a loss on it. I even made money on my crownline when I sold it. Just a thought. We are only two people, but if I had kids I dont think I would be in a fountain right now.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I would even reccomend this. You are not new to boating but performance boating is a different world. I also went from a 23ft crownline to a 29ft fountain its a lot different. There is less places for gear and people, maint cost more and the fuel cost. If you have a family and think you are going to fish, tube, ski, etc behind a 27-29ft Fever you are going to be in for a big surprise. It might be worthwhile to buy something that is maybe 15 grand you can find a 25-27ft for that price, try it out for a year. As long as you buy the right boat you shouldnt take a loss on it. I even made money on my crownline when I sold it. Just a thought. We are only two people, but if I had kids I dont think I would be in a fountain right now.
I already have a 27' Captiva SS, and although it is not a fountain, it is an excellent starter performance boat (496HO). We don't fish at all and tube very little--pretty much just drive around, and then park it and swim/tie-off with friends. Not overly concerned about room, as I'm not one that wants 10 people on my boat everytime we go out.

I have younger boys, but believe me, they LOVE going fast in the boat!!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

i feel ya. Just realize your not going to be tubing or anything like that at all on a fountain. And five to six people max is all your getting in the boat. I dont want a ton of people in my boat either so i feel ya there.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

i feel ya. Just realize your not going to be tubing or anything like that at all on a fountain. And five to six people max is all your getting in the boat. I dont want a ton of people in my boat either so i feel ya there.
Thanks for your help........ya, I'm not spendin $25-$30k on a boat, and then having one of my idiot friends come on with shoes and rip my interior all-up. And lets not even talk about my kids friends.....LOL.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

I seen my friend pull his step son on a tube behind his triple 42!

Wish I would had taken a picture of that one.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered

5 on a 27 is max and 6 on a 29 is max for us and then at that point your loaded down and feeling slow again. Performance boats are alot different then runabouts period. Its all about what you want to do and where you use the boat.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying J
5 on a 27 is max and 6 on a 29 is max for us and then at that point your loaded down and feeling slow again. Performance boats are alot different then runabouts period. Its all about what you want to do and where you use the boat.
Your right Ive always wanted a fountain and finally have one. But in the back of my head I dont know if its going to be a boat forever, specially if I have kids. To be flat honest any performance boat is not practical just like a vette. I love my fountain and see having it for a while, just glad I didnt spend a fortune or sign away 20 years of my life like some of these smarties do for these boats, because I dont see it being alife time boat.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

I've had my 27 for 6 years- a '91 with a standard 454. It's only a 50 mph boat, but a very comfortable cruiser. Wife hates it- we've skied with it a few times, and it actually did OK, but she wants a people hauler and a better skier, so I bought a MasterCraft yesterday. The Fountain is for sale, nice clean boat, 600 easy hours, will sell for upper teens. I have a new 700 hp 555 sitting on the stand if you want to go fast, price negotiable if bought with the boat. Should have on classifieds in the next few days.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boxer156
I already have a 27' Captiva SS, and although it is not a fountain, it is an excellent starter performance boat (496HO). We don't fish at all and tube very little--pretty much just drive around, and then park it and swim/tie-off with friends. Not overly concerned about room, as I'm not one that wants 10 people on my boat everytime we go out.

I have younger boys, but believe me, they LOVE going fast in the boat!!
Stay with what you have. To match the room you will have to go with a 32 with twins and by the time you figure in the hassle of towing, extra maintenance costs, fuel, etc. You will not be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.