2007 35 Lightning w 496HOs >

2007 35 Lightning w 496HOs

Notices

2007 35 Lightning w 496HOs

Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
The owner said that when the boat was new it came from the factory with -2 shorties and would run 85 MPH under idea conditions - 80ish with a full load. For some reason the guy just doesn't care about top end so he replaced the -2's with standard length XR's and the boat lost 5 mph. He said it now runs 80ish on fumes in cool weather and 75 under normal conditions with a load.

I find your take on this more believable. Have a real hard time believing that a 496 boat, staggered or not, will run into the 90's.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I find your take on this more believable. Have a real hard time believing that a 496 boat, staggered or not, will run into the 90's.
Yea that's what the guy who owns the boat told me. I don't know why he would want to underestimate the speed of a boat he is trying to sell.

Still a very nice boat if you can buy it right and swap power.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This boat is back on the market and I'm thinking about going out to look at it when it arrives at Shogren. I am moving up from an Advatage 25 Citation and I def want an 07 or 08 35 Lightning. I've read a lot of threads about how great the handling and speed of the full stagger 35's are. (I boat with two other Fountains - a 2005 38 Lighting with 525's and a 2007 42 Lightning with 600 SCI's so I'm somewhat familiar with them.) I know this one has been altered (headers, lowers, etc) in an effort to appease the former owners. I agree as others have stated it is underpowered but I have a plan that could fix that.

Really, I'm more interested in a 525 powered Lightning but if the price and condition of this one are right, it has a good enough platform to build off of. If I can work a deal I see 2 phases. One - this winter - bring the drives back to factory spec with SSM lowers and a set of props favoring time to plane/mid range. (I'm fine giving up a few on top for overall performance.) Two - next winter - build up the 496's with Raylar forged stroker kits and reprop again favoring time to plane/mid range.

My biggest concern has to do with the drivability and reliability of drives and props. I've read several threads here (and a bit of experience with the 42) on how the full staggered Lightnings can be a handful to get on plane (worst in rough water) and can be problematic in regards to breaking prop shafts, throwing prop blades and overall just hard on drives. I'm by no means wealthy but also not afraid of the potential costs of some of the aforementioned drive pitfalls. That is just performance boating -,but being a Mn boater our season is short and down time due to component failure is hard to swallow.

Thoughts? Also - anyone know or recommend a good prop set up that is fairly drive friendly and fairly reliable? Maximus? Hering? 5,6,7 blade? Thanks.

Last edited by MN35LIGHTNING; 10-21-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Registered

Here's a 2008 35 Fountain staggered 496ho's... $99K

http://www.nationalpowerboat.com/35-fountain--2008.htm

There's also a nice 2007 35 Staggered 525's here in the classifieds for only $129K no pics in ad.
I emailed the seller, and the boat seems like a decent buy.
I'm looking for a 2007-2009 35-38 with 600 sci's and ITS.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for the leads Teddy G. Spoke with Billy today on the 2008 with 496's. Nice guy and he sent me several pics. Nice Fountain but has 2 deal breakers for me - it's a salt water boat and the paint is identical to my buddy's 42. Still waiting on a reply on the 2007 with 525's.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Registered

http://1drv.ms/1O9nYC8

If your able to access this is the link that the owner of that 2007 35 sent me.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Teddy G
http://1drv.ms/1O9nYC8

If your able to access this is the link that the owner of that 2007 35 sent me.
Looks like a great boat. I have called twice and also texted him but he is not replying at all Guessing he sold it already?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MN25CITATION
This boat is back on the market and I'm thinking about going out to look at it when it arrives at Shogren. I am moving up from an Advatage 25 Citation and I def want an 07 or 08 35 Lightning. I've read a lot of threads about how great the handling and speed of the full stagger 35's are. (I boat with two other Fountains - a 2005 38 Lighting with 525's and a 2007 42 Lightning with 600 SCI's so I'm somewhat familiar with them.) I know this one has been altered (headers, lowers, etc) in an effort to appease the former owners. I agree as others have stated it is underpowered but I have a plan that could fix that.

Really, I'm more interested in a 525 powered Lightning but if the price and condition of this one are right, it has a good enough platform to build off of. If I can work a deal I see 2 phases. One - this winter - bring the drives back to factory spec with SSM lowers and a set of props favoring time to plane/mid range. (I'm fine giving up a few on top for overall performance.) Two - next winter - build up the 496's with Raylar forged stroker kits and reprop again favoring time to plane/mid range.

My biggest concern has to do with the drivability and reliability of drives and props. I've read several threads here (and a bit of experience with the 42) on how the full staggered Lightnings can be a handful to get on plane (worst in rough water) and can be problematic in regards to breaking prop shafts, throwing prop blades and overall just hard on drives. I'm by no means wealthy but also not afraid of the potential costs of some of the aforementioned drive pitfalls. That is just performance boating -,but being a Mn boater our season is short and down time due to component failure is hard to swallow.

Thoughts? Also - anyone know or recommend a good prop set up that is fairly drive friendly and fairly reliable? Maximus? Hering? 5,6,7 blade? Thanks.

From what I've read the 4 blade bravo's and 5 blade maximus props are the way to go if you want to plane easily. Durability of the propshafts I'm guessing might be better. Also if you're in rough water they are more likely to break. Looks like going with the Imco SCX drive is the way to go for durability but they are expensive.
The 6 blade Herrings are difficult to plane, but give you the big top end ##.
If you get the IMCO SCX-4 looks like you can get the bigger prop shafts, and run cleavers, which are designed to surface.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know where this boat ended up or know of any other 35 staggered 496 boats?

Last edited by BIGSLOW; 06-07-2021 at 12:31 PM.