Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Where should I install Pwr Inverter??? >

Where should I install Pwr Inverter???

Notices

Where should I install Pwr Inverter???

Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I install Pwr Inverter???

i have a 32' Fever and am installing a Tripp Lite APS2012 2000W power inverter/battery charger to run my portable a/c unit in the cabin. The Inverter is pretty big at 21 x 15 x 13.2 inches and 46lbs. I'm trying to figure out where i can mount this thing? Def not in eng compartment because of the heat. too big to mount under sink area cuz i already have 3 amps down there and i do not want to lose the sink. I'm force to lean toward installing it under the back seat but really didnt want to do that since i had plans to install 4, 10" subs under there. Any thoughts? thx.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be as close as possible to the batteries. The further away from them you go the greater the voltage loss and the bigger the cables you will need.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered

so I'll try and mount as close to the batteries as possible... but then I'll have to run an extension cord up to the cabin. won't that be the same thing as the inverter being too far from batteries?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Registered

I take it you have a cruise-air type deal that sets in the hatch? I would probably use one of those honda generators they are 40 pounds and you can set them on a rubber mat on your deck. I think you are gonna need alot of battries and even then im not sure it will last long. Not to mention this all sounds like and electrical fire waiting to happen......Keep us updated im really curious how well this works
Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by FREAKY FAST
so I'll try and mount as close to the batteries as possible... but then I'll have to run an extension cord up to the cabin. won't that be the same thing as the inverter being too far from batteries?
No, 120 volt AC will be less current then what the 12 Volt side is doing.(current).

But I am with Flying J, you are going to need a ton of battery for a inverter big enough to run a AC unit. Before you go to all the work, test it in a small room, see how long those batteries last.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

I think most inverters are at best 50% to 60% efficient, running at even 1500 watts you can calculate the current draw.

How much does the AC unit say that it draws?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

If this worked more boats would have 12v air using an inverter. Someone will chime in here and educate us on the difference in power draw on A/C current and D/C current
Old 07-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

I think his Air unit is 120Volt AC, that's why he wants to wire a inverter up.

What do you want to know about AC vs DC current? For this I am assuming you mean 12VDC and 120Vac,,,,,
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Registered

I guess what im asking here is 120vac has to be able to support the current draw of an air conditioner better than 12vdc otherwise more boats would have it. However, it seems that you must have a generator or be plugged into shore power to run an onboard air condioner. Meaning you must have your 120vac bus powered. Now that being said is it the compressor drawing the load or the seawater pump?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying J
I guess what im asking here is 120vac has to be able to support the current draw of an air conditioner better than 12vdc otherwise more boats would have it. However, it seems that you must have a generator or be plugged into shore power to run an onboard air condioner. Meaning you must have your 120vac bus powered. Now that being said is it the compressor drawing the load or the seawater pump?
Got you,,,,

Yea you are correct 120Vac is easier then the 12V system.

But if you want to try and run some type of AC unit without shore power or gen, I would say the 12Vdc units would be better because of the loss converting 12Vdc to 120Vac. Still would need a lot of battery power.

The last one,,,,, just a guess but I am going with the compressor being the higher current draw.

Freaky,

How long are you trying to run the air, and how much do you want to drop from ambient?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.