Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    My Boats:
    07 Fountain 38 Lightning 600sci's, 09 Eliminator 33 Daytona Teague 900's

Staggered 35 Owners?

Who on here has a staggered 35 Lightning?

After thinking about it for a considerable amount of time I finally decided to downsize from a 47 back to a 35.
    I have only had it out once and I can already see it will take some getting use to.
    The main thing I can see so far, besides getting use to the space, is getting use to getting it on plane.

Staggered 35 with 525's and Herring 6 blade 32 pitch props, anyone else have this problem?

My Boats:
    Was A 2001 35' Lightning
    time to plane with herring 6 blades is a bit of a struggle for a stag 35 you need to use tabs to help. if you change your wheels pitch you can make your time to plane faster and you will loose some top end... 7 blades may help not sure
    Last edited by blownincome; 08-09-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    BW 22 Outrage
    If you went with a staggared 38 you would get a lot more room but still have a more nimble boat.

Of course that would still not jump right on plane either

Registered
    7 blade herings would help that and it would run faster.

My Boats:
    36 Nor-Tech
    Tabs right down, throttle up until the props break loose, rpm will shoot to about 3500rpm and then start bringing the tabs up slowly, you will get used to it.......I went from a 42 down to the 35 and it was a little getting used to for me as well.

I have had 5 blade maximus, labbed and non, 6 blade herings and now 7 blade herings, getting on plain with the 7 blades is really no different then the 6, if so, marginal at best. mid range was a HUGE difference and gained a lot. I can only get 5020-5040rpm at WOT but at that rpm getting the same top end as the 5 blade maximus at 5250rpm so I am satisfied.

I am not going to send them into Hering as I do not want to risk losing the mid range gain......I am very happy with them and would recommend for sure.

Good luck;

Jay

Registered
    My Boats:
    Fever
    Quote Originally Posted by rexcramer1 View Post
    If you went with a staggared 38 you would get a lot more room but still have a more nimble boat.

Of course that would still not jump right on plane either
    Not knocking you bro, but you guys notice how somebody always is asking about getting a certain size boat and people always say go the next size bigger??

Registered
    My Boats:
    BW 22 Outrage
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier4402 View Post
    Not knocking you bro, but you guys notice how somebody always is asking about getting a certain size boat and people always say go the next size bigger??
    He said he was having a hard time getting used to the lack of space so I simply offered another alternative. Going from a 47 to a 38 is still a considerable downsize.

Registered
    My Boats:
    '06 35 Lightning Merc HP 525's aka The Black Biotch
    Quote Originally Posted by rexcramer1 View Post
    He said he was having a hard time getting used to the lack of space so I simply offered another alternative. Going from a 47 to a 38 is still a considerable downsize.

Believe the point here is that you own neither. Therefore the advise is somewhat moot. No offense, but the guy is looking for some real world feed back.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Fever
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
    Believe the point here is that you own neither. Therefore the advise is somewhat moot. No offense, but the guy is looking for some real world feed back.
    True and a 38ft boat is going to be more to handle than a 35

Charter Member # 545 Gold Member Beak Boater's Avatar
    Not really, have owned both, the only time you notice a difference is in rough water. Docking, trailering, ect. they are about the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast