35 fountain owners, single step, twin step, and stag

Notices

35 fountain owners, single step, twin step, and stag

Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts
Default 35 fountain owners, single step, twin step, and stag

How are these 35's in say the gulf?

There was a thread in the general section (Fastest 30 foot V), and some one was saying they handle like Chit.

Anybody have any real world with bigger water? Trailering would be a concern for me, I only have a F250 and don't want also buy a truck, 42's are over my tow limit, and I think even a 38 would be.

If you wonder why I ask, see below.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
How are these 35's in say the gulf?

There was a thread in the general section (Fastest 30 foot V), and some one was saying they handle like Chit.

Anybody have any real world with bigger water? Trailering would be a concern for me, I only have a F250 and don't want also buy a truck, 42's are over my tow limit, and I think even a 38 would be.

If you wonder why I ask, see below.
I liked my 35 no step the best in big water bow up feel and would crush most of what I put it in, next my single step was a close second and faster w/stock power, My twin step (side by side) is a great boat but not what my single step was in the bigger water.. the twin step stag boat I had out in some 3-5s was ok ran extremely flat!! when the water turned really ugly 8-10s It Sucked! some of the problem was she had 6 blade herrings so once I fell off plane almost impossible to get the bow up and back on plane to keep from stuffing her, spent the whole ride back tacking the whole way...

Last edited by blownincome; 08-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Can't speak for the staggered boat, would agree with Bob in terms of the single step vs the twin. My single step was a little better in bigger water than the twin step. Up here we venture out into Lake Ontario on occasion and when it gets whipped up they can get pretty big. They are closely spaced and very steep. I have a real high X and in real big chit I have the same problem Bob spoke of with getting up and staying on plane at slower speeds.

Test drove the twin step off Salem Mass. on a decent day with soft well spaced rollers, it worked real well. Just floated from one to the next. Where we boat we have a lot of wind chop and mixed up cruiser slop and the twin step really chews this chit up. For me the twin step works well, in 3's it's not really challenged at all. Drives spaced down and some different props I believe one could venture out into some big stuff and be ok.

One does need to remember that a 35 is not a 42, if I were offshore or in the Great Lakes all the time I would have a 42 for sure.

P.S. Enjoy Florida!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 08-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

This is really good info, a little surprised that the single steps do better in bigger water.

Do you think it has a lot to do with the drive height?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
This is really good info, a little surprised that the single steps do better in bigger water.

Do you think it has a lot to do with the drive height?
I think it has more to do with the natural angle of attack of the single step vs the flatter running twin step.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

In my case I feel it's more the high X. The twin steps do run very flat but that can be changed at modest speeds with trim and tabs. If my twin step would come out and stay up at slower speeds as well as my single step did I don't believe the bigger stuff would be that much different. Props would make a big difference in my set up, just haven't found the right set yet. I do intend to because all around I really like the way this hull performs.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

x2 What he said!!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say how mine runs in the gulf - but my 35 Single step (500's) didn't do bad on LOTO last year during the fun run. The water was like a washing machine after the big cats went by me. To me, the boat feels light in the water, so be ready on the throttles, you are going to catch some air - it is a lot of fun to drive.
I like the 35 but the 42 has always been the boat on my I gotta have one list.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

I had a single step 35 with 500's and it could take anything that Lake Havasu could offer, even when the storm warning flag was flying, the boat could handle it no problem.

BUT, when boating in the ocean (Pacific) which tends to be rougher than the Atlantic, when it got rough I really wished we had a 42'. The 35 definately has it's limits and I think it is a great lake boat, but not a great rough water ocean boat. Getting a 42 is high on my list.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had a '99 Single step 35 & it was a great boat, I agree with what everyone has said, this year I moved up to a 42... awesome! every time I drive it, I can't wipe the grin off my face, the lake conditions don't ruin my day anymore, My wife loves boating again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.