Finally some WOT numbers! >

Finally some WOT numbers!

Notices

Finally some WOT numbers!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally some WOT numbers!

First off, I'd like to introduce myself since this is my first post here on OSO. My name is Philip. I've been a member for awhile, but have just been creeping and reading up on various boat topics. This last May, we picked up our first go-fast boat, a 2001 35 lightning from Scott, up at Shogren's. It has stock 500 EFIs, XZ drives (might be XRs, but not for sure), and original 11 year old 30" 4b-bravos . Its white and has blueish purple/yellow lightning bolts on each side and is very very clean for its age.

Now to the good stuff. I've been getting a feel for the boat all summer and usually took it out about every other weekend. This last weekend I finally opened it up and did a few WOT blasts at LOTO. With about 3/4s full tanks, two friends and myself, a cooler with atleast two cases of beer, and all the other typical stuff (anchor, ropes, buoys, lifejackets, throw ring, etc.) it went 84.5 GPS at about 5250-5300rpm. This was in about 1' wind chop, with the drives at 4 and tabs nuetral at 3. I was stoked to say the least!!

Since I don't have the performance report for the boat yet, what speeds do you think I'd see with a "Reggie-type setup" (one person, low fuel) in similar conditions?

Thanks in advanced!!

Last edited by HOT_RODN99; 10-11-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Registered

stock motors and 30" props that about it maybe still have 1mph left. 32" would go about 1-2 mph faster. Labbed would be alittle better than that. cutting 1/2 " off the difuser ring would add a little more. 90 is possible Every day would be 86-87 shorties would and about 2-3 With difuser 1/2 cut off you will have some blow out getting on plan I have a stock 2001 If i can be any help give me a call 904-349-0859
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Registered

Hot Rod Im looking at 35 Fountains as well. This weekend had alot of traffic on the lake. Are you happy with the ride when you're in the main channel?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by flying J
Hot Rod Im looking at 35 Fountains as well. This weekend had alot of traffic on the lake. Are you happy with the ride when you're in the main channel?
When I had my straight bottom 35, I found that for a holiday weekend main channel run you just have to push the throttles forward and let it eat. I was very impressed to say the least. Now this summer I went for a 100+ mph ride during the shoot out weekend in a friends 43 Black Thunder and that was impressive to say the least.

All in all, 35 is a great boat and I may own another in the future!!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
stock motors and 30" props that about it maybe still have 1mph left. 32" would go about 1-2 mph faster. Labbed would be alittle better than that. cutting 1/2 " off the difuser ring would add a little more. 90 is possible Every day would be 86-87 shorties would and about 2-3 With difuser 1/2 cut off you will have some blow out getting on plan I have a stock 2001 If i can be any help give me a call 904-349-0859
I'm thinking the 30 pitch bravos will take me to 87-88 with 1000 lbs less of gas in the tanks. With a little over 3/4s of a tank, that's over 1100 pounds of gas on board. I also think a little more trim would of netted me atleast 85-85.5 last weekend. I am thinking labbed 32" bravos would be about perfect. The 11 year old 30" bravos are definetly showing there age.

So I think labbed bravo 32s would be the hot ticket to get to about 90-92. I also might try some 5B or 6B herings. I'm thinking those might get me to 92-94. Or what do ya'll think about those sets of props and those speeds?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying J
Well first I'd need to know if your talking about a 2-step, 1-step, or non-step hull. I've been reading that they handle a little different in the ruff stuff. The main channel definetly lives up to its name "the washing machine", especially during the summer.

Our twin-step hull definelty rides good in 1'-2' water, but once it gets into the 3 footers, you definelty want to give it more throttle and ride on the top of the waves instead of down in between them. But beyond that, our 35 twin-step rides like a dream. It flys flat and lands soft. For flat water, you don't even need to touch the wheel at all.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavor1
When I had my straight bottom 35, I found that for a holiday weekend main channel run you just have to push the throttles forward and let it eat. I was very impressed to say the least. Now this summer I went for a 100+ mph ride during the shoot out weekend in a friends 43 Black Thunder and that was impressive to say the least.

All in all, 35 is a great boat and I may own another in the future!!
Main channel runs during the holidays definetly get ruff on LOTO. Giving it more throttle to ride on top of the waves is alot better than getting ruffed up cruising over them! That's until you get stuck behind a cruiser throwing 5-6 footers at ya. I always throttle way down for those! Haha

Most of been a blast in that black thunder. Did you snap any pics of it when you got to ride in it?

Last edited by HOT_RODN99; 10-12-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

We can make it fly at RF Marine. Give me a call tomorrow & we can make your boat Real Fast.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reggie Fountain
We can make it fly at RF Marine. Give me a call tomorrow & we can make your boat Real Fast.
Hey Reggie, I was hoping you'd chime in. With buying a second house down on LOTO this year and our 2001 35 lightning, I'm not sure how much spare spending money I'll have this winter for getting more speed out of our 35, but I figured a set of new props would be a start for a low dollar upgrade. Right now it has the stock 30" bravos on it that are starting to show their age. But with all the possibilities out there for props, I'm not sure what to start with. The XZ drives (possibly XR drives, I'm not sure yet) have stock length lowers for now, so the props would have to work with them instead of the shortie lowers. So from labbed bravos, maxs, hering 5B, 6B, or even 7B, to hydro 4B or 5B props, not sure what would be best yet.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you try 5 1/2 on your drive trim thats what they like with that set up ,5 or 6 blades will not help you on top end with your curent drive set up. 2 or less on tabs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.