ventilation holes >

ventilation holes

Notices

ventilation holes

Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ventilation holes

I recently purchased a 98 29 fever and at the stern are the two ventilation holes that have been plugged to keep the water from flooding the engine area. At least thats what I have been told. Well anyway I am trying to get the handrails off to get them powdercoated and the last two bolts are blocked by the fiberglass vent tube. So I was wondering if anyone knew for certain which way the "plugs" where installed either from the rear or from inside the engine compartment out. If I knew which way to push them out it might make getting to the bolts a whole lot easier because I may not have to cut the fiberglass tubes out or at least not as much.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered

those ventilation holes should not be blocked or water intrusion will be the least of your troubles...can you say "kaboom"!!?

forward vent vanes should be directed to the bilge for incoming air....back vent vanes should be directed backward AND connected to working air bilge pumps directing engine vapors from below the engines and out of the vents.

should run these for 5 minutes before starting engine(s) to pump out dense engine vapors which may have collected in the bilge and to prevent explosions!

although you may get some water in the vents from rain or waves it should be minimal. Likely source of water is rub rail. many threads on OSO regarding this problem and how to correct it!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

I may have misunderstood your description of "ventilation holes"...
kinda confused..are you describing the smaller holes thru the transom on either side of the engine(s)??

I thought you were talking about the ventilation grills on top, sorry!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he may be talking about the holes on the rear on either side of the swim platform where the bilge blowers would exit. If they are blocked where are the bilge blowers exiting?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the exact studs/nuts you are talking about! Those rails are installed on the deck before the deck is matted to the hull. So it's not a problem during the build. Almost impossible to get to them with the boat assembled.
I made a crude extension to reach those back nuts when I removed my rails to remove the powder coating and polish all my rails. It's basically 2 chain driven sprockets with sockets welded to them. Use a rachet to turn the one sprocket. Worked like a charm!

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

These holes shouldn't be blocked, unless the blower hoses have been rerouted. Not sure where they could be rerouted to though. the side openings are for incoming air. These are my design. They have a flap in them that opens when the blowers are on, and close when off. Just like your silent choice.

The FG tubes are installed from the inside. You might be able to work them up/down, left/right to loosen the sealer and pull the tubes themselves out. I believe they slip over the outlet holes. Kind of a tube over a tube design. Maybe RF will clarify.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I know the exact studs/nuts you are talking about! Those rails are installed on the deck before the deck is matted to the hull. So it's not a problem during the build. Almost impossible to get to them with the boat assembled.
I made a crude extension to reach those back nuts when I removed my rails to remove the powder coating and polish all my rails. It's basically 2 chain driven sprockets with sockets welded to them. Use a rachet to turn the one sprocket. Worked like a charm!
BRILLIANT!!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Default My vent plugs

US1 Fountain: They are the exact holes I am talking about. I got the whole vent hole thing but thanks guys It will be fixed. So while we are on the vent hole valve issue. Does anyone know off the top of thier head where I might be able to get them like the ones US1 has pictured? Now back to the plugs, are they installed from the outside in or inside out? I am not the only one with these plugs I have seen others with them. It was explained to me it was a fix from fountain because boats anchored or tied up and a wake pushes water into the vents and sinks the boat. Rather it does or not I don't care. The flexible vent tube on the starboard side is still hooked into the tube but there is nothing but the fiberglass tube on the port side. But I still want to get the last two rails off the boat. That chain wrench is a pretty cool idea. Do you rent it out? Maybe I will just cut them out.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Thanks Bob.

Not following your 'vent plugs'.

You don't have just the bare FG hole opening from the outside? My '99 had just that, a plain opening that led to the FG tubes on the inside. BTW, I made those SS inserts myself because I thought that was were my water was entering the bilge. Proved not to be the case. Leaking rub rail. Bilge is now 100% dry, of even a drop of water.

I've seen newer yrs have what looks like a grill over the opening to break the on rush of water. Also have seen what looks just like mine, but w/o the flapper, a SS tube that goes up inside with the flange on the outside. But not sure why there would be a FG tube on the inside then??? I assumed the SS tubes were easier (cheaper) to install than having to glass in those rear holes since they can't be done during the build, same as with the side vent openings, added after the deck is pulled from the mold. I believe.

You should have flexible hose connected to both of those FG tubes, each leading to a blower.

This is how mine was originally:

Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Ok I'm impressed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.