38 Side by side trim tabs >

38 Side by side trim tabs

Notices

38 Side by side trim tabs

Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 38 Side by side trim tabs

I can't make it over to the east coast for the driving clinic.It was rippely, but no chop to speak of the last time I ran it. I know I need some chop. I had no problem controling the boat w no tabs ( all the way up) / It this costing me top end? will adding tab raise the stern and give more mph? Or does it cost mph by creating drag. How does your boat work ?? Thanks for your input

Last edited by mcprodesign; 01-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

set your tabs and drives at 3 and 3 on plane, adjust tabs slightly up or down from there..
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

On my 32 level with the bottom (3) keeps it settled but no loss in speed. Raising them up from there doesn't give me any speed but becomes unstable, even on smooth water.

Also 5 on drives, any more and it doesn't do a thing.

Try and see if you can get the performance report.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 01-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is off the subject but could you measure the distance from the end of the running surface to where your rub rail ends? Im trying to set up a lift on a possible new to me 38 and need to know how many inches are past the running surface.

As for tabs I would think all the way up would be the fastest but its always nice to have your indicator marked to let you know where neutral is. That being said to get max speed on my 27 I would trim the drive to the moon until I lost speed then back down then slightly drop the tabs. Then another drive adjustment was usually needed as well once the tabs lifted the stern slightly

Last edited by flying J; 01-06-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered

I appreciate the info. W Blower motors I don't usually hold it WOT very long at all. I don't want to burn it down. I have the timing at 34-34.5. Kinda set on kill.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying J
This is off the subject but could you measure the distance from the end of the running surface to where your rub rail ends? Im trying to set up a lift on a possible new to me 38 and need to know how many inches are past the running surface.

As for tabs I would think all the way up would be the fastest but its always nice to have your indicator marked to let you know where neutral is. That being said to get max speed on my 27 I would trim the drive to the moon until I lost speed then back down then slightly drop the tabs. Then another drive adjustment was usually needed as well once the tabs lifted the stern slightly
I think it is 2.5 feet. Basicly the swim deck. The drives are farther out than that. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

j bomb. It is 31 iniches from the running surface to the tip of my drives . Extention boxes would put you past that and the swim deck. It is strait down from the swim deck to the end my drives
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

Thanks buddy,

I think its gonna work im worried about my 10K lift a little but everyone says its about 8400lbs dry. No filling up and heading to the lift I guess????
Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered

Ive got a 38 Lightning on a 10,000 pound Hewitt lift that works perfectly fine with 3/4 full of fuel, gear and family. Most lifts are very conservative on their #s. If your sitting on the bottom make sure you put 2' square steel shoes under the legs. I walked away after my maiden lift, two legs sank and almost laid it over on my dock! Also, if you have carpet covered bunks I made 15'ers w/ the steps to match the hull. She sits perfectly flat.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buddy keeps his 35 Cafe on a 10K lift. When full of fuel it's just a tad lower, but only cause we know it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.