Leaking 47 LGT fuel tank(s)...?

Notices

Leaking 47 LGT fuel tank(s)...?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking 47 LGT fuel tank(s)...?

Hi guys,

we are having a 1999 47 Lightning which we are wondering has a leak in one of the fuel tanks. Some times, there is excessive fuel fume smell inside the cabin. However there is NO leaking gasoline anywhere we can find. Some times there are no fumes at all.. We hope we do not need to cut the floor out of the cockpit.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I know the boat has been relatively hard driven in swells out in the ocean.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of one 47 that someone used screws that were too long and went into the tanks. When they were filled was the only time that you knew there was a problem.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

i had the same problem. I would smell gas and couldn't find a leak anywhere. That went on for 2 years or so. Then 1 day I found fuel leaking into the bilge. We took a rubber tipped blow gun and blew air in the vent to pressurize the tank we could see fuel coming up thru the foam between the back bulkhead and the tank. It had small pinholes in the bottom weld from corrision. Even after I found the the leak it would not leak into the bilge unless it was full.