'02 38' Lightning SCX-4 water test today=good >

'02 38' Lightning SCX-4 water test today=good

Notices

'02 38' Lightning SCX-4 water test today=good

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
Speed gain was NOT the goal but I did cross all my fingers and toes. I'm looking for reliability.
Good news is that I didn't lose any with that honken lower, larger gears and prop.
If you haven't seen one, they're large. I think the lower is larger than a 6. I'd have to see them side by side to tell for sure.
I'll get it figured out. Hell, it's only March. Summer in Seattle is on August 19.....most of the time!

The PU's hang way down to get water. At least 3/4" and they're Teague scoops. We figured PSI would be through the roof when I had them hanging 1/4" down with the notches I made. I kept lowering them to get PSI. It didn't seem to make a difference in the ride but I'm sure it isn't helping. I'm gonna lengthen the notches in the hull from 3" to 15", raise the PU's back up, keep the upper portions tight agains the transom plate (so they'll be less prone to drawing in air?), try 16.8" X 36P 21*rake props, and see what happens.
Hopefully sooner than later!!!
Which brand props are those? That's an oddball dia. I haven't seen before. They could be cut downs from 17" I suppose. There should supposedly be a lot to gain from having Wilson Custom marine blueprint the IMCO SCX lowers. Are the -4 lowers as "rough" as the standard SCX?

I was thinking about something. Some mentioned the bullets skiing. Could this be a problem similar to the one Fountain had with the NXT lowers over the #6 I wonder. Both the NXT and SCX-4 bullets are huge.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 03-05-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, do those exhaust butterflies make it a lot quieter around the harbor?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Rob, do those exhaust butterflies make it a lot quieter around the harbor?
A little bit. Just ahead of them are a lot of holes so that it doesn't force all the exhaust through the transom assembly. I'm guessing it's that way because of the blowers so that if you forget to open them they're not so restrictive and maybe save an engine.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Which brand props are those? That's an oddball dia. I haven't seen before. They could be cut downs from 17" I suppose. There should supposedly be a lot to gain from having Wilson Custom marine blueprint the IMCO SCX lowers. Are the -4 lowers as "rough" as the standard SCX?

I was thinking about something. Some mentioned the bullets skiing. Could this be a problem similar to the one Fountain had with the NXT lowers over the #6 I wonder. Both the NXT and SCX-4 bullets are huge.
They're borrowed Herings.
I haven't seen a standard SCX but I spent 24 hours sanding the lowers. Sure, they're not perfect, but they're waaaaay better and didn't cost $4K+shipping.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
They're borrowed Herings.
I haven't seen a standard SCX but I spent 24 hours sanding the lowers. Sure, they're not perfect, but they're waaaaay better and didn't cost $4K+shipping.
You did what? Did you block sand or sharpen the edges? Sounds like something i could do.....
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont know how to block and sand do you ????? ha ha
Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
You dont know how to block and sand do you ????? ha ha
Nerver sanded a brick before ... how come you didn't do it for me .. lol hah a
Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

My hands would probably cramp up and fall off after 10 minutes .
Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

I used a combination of sanders to get them even and to a point/sharp edge. I focused on eliminating all the low spots by sanding down the high spots. That's where I stopped. 24 more hours and I could have thinned the skeg tons but called it good enough for pleasure use. They did turn out sweet and I'd say it's a must.
80 grit paper the whole way
air board sander about 18" long. Not orbital.
hand board sander about 8" long
hand round sander about the size of a 50 cent piece
hand rat tail file wrapped in paper for the really small curves by the prop
finished the leading edge of the skeg with a 2" piece of 120grit folded in half over the skeg to give it a Hering look
6 bandaids for the blisters
10 Ibuprofins for the sore shoulders
Must have been a pound of aluminum on the floor when I was done
Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

You are a VERY patient man .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.