Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Shore Power and AC on staggered 35' Lightning >

Shore Power and AC on staggered 35' Lightning

Notices

Shore Power and AC on staggered 35' Lightning

Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I got a pic but not of the a/c unit installed. The install shop has only been able to wire the boat and install the underwater lights. The a/c unit is a 5000 btu unit I got from Home Depot for $99. The stereo shop said this is what they usually install. They are making a custom drip pan that drains the condensation to the bilge area. They are installing my TripLite 2250 watt power inverter in the bottom corner of the storage closet that the a/c unit will be inside. About 4" of the a/c unit will come out into the under/upper side of the driver's dash. I nice white screen will block the ugliness from anyone who is sitting on the back bench. So I only have a pic of the hole they've cut. Sorry for quality of pic. More to come.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool keep me updated. I am very interested . I have already bought a 5000 btu ac unit at sams club . I got it 3 weeks ago to do some thing like this . more pics , also the drip pan .how many batterys are they installing for the ac unit ? also how long will it run. thanks Tim

Last edited by tim brown; 04-23-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these home units built to take a beating?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Are these home units built to take a beating?
+1 pic of the install will be interesting.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Wildman, thanks for the pictures, I looked at that boat too but it was out of my price range. I really did not want to put the AC unit that far forward due to the beating it will take, but I may not have a choice unless I want to lose the cooler spot under the corian countertop. For the guys considering the window AC units, unrestricted fresh air flow on the evaporator(hot) side is imperative or it won't keep up on the really hot days. This means it can't blow around the same hot air.
The window unit will not take the beating as long as true marine unit will. But for $100 you can replace a bunch of them before equaling the cost of the true marine system. I considered converting one of these window units to water cooling as an alternative too.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

I asked the installer about the units taking a beating and he said he hasn't had an issue yet and has this same set up on his Baja H2X. Time will tell.
I will for sure post pics of the install for you guys as it progresses.

The power inverter/battery charger that is also going in the storage closet mounted to the floor is a Tripp Lite APS1250.

The installer is also molding me some custom cup holders for the front seats out of fiberglass which will be covered with white upholstery. The driver's side will also have a Clarion MW1 wired remote molded into it. Pic isnt the greatest but it's all he sent. Pic is also pre fiberglass and just a mockup as of now.
Stay tuned!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting there!
My biggest beef is 2 small cup holders in the whole cockpit, and that's if you get the cupholder option. Where do they expect us to put our beer while driving?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Have you or the installer did the calculation on how long the unit can run off of the batteries?

How many and where will they be mounted?

+1 on the cup holders,,,,,,,, I have none. Well a friend gave me 4 to install,,,,,,,,, now if I knew what box I stored them in.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 04-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep it coming , more pics and imfo.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Have you or the installer did the calculation on how long the unit can run off of the batteries?

How many and where will they be mounted?

+1 on the cup holders,,,,,,,, I have none. Well a friend gave me 4 to install,,,,,,,,, now if I knew what box I stored them in.
yes, 1.5-2 hours with the 2 Odyssey batteries and the 2 Optima blue tops. I will have a Honda eu2000i on the front deck of the boat providing electricity while parked most of the time and shore power when at slip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.