Shore Power and AC on staggered 35' Lightning

Notices

Shore Power and AC on staggered 35' Lightning

Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Anyone interested can PM me.

Last edited by FREAKY FAST; 04-26-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed the hr meter form the dash and have it located underneath the dash wire tied up out of the way, then moved the depth gauge to the hr meter location. Installed the remote at depth gauge location. (Pic shows hr meter still in it's original location)
Attached Thumbnails Shore Power and AC on staggered 35' Lightning-p4190001-large-.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-26-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep it up , very good thread . I am sure others are interested as much as I am . one question , why is the shore power cord located by the drivers legs ?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tim brown
keep it up , very good thread . I am sure others are interested as much as I am . one question , why is the shore power cord located by the drivers legs ?
Great question! I didn't want anything messing up the outer looks of the boat so it had to go somewhere on the inside. There won't be any room but the driver's side because of the cup holder/remote fabrication. And since the electrical outlet at my marina is on the driver's side, I opted to have it down low. It is also located about 1' from the power inverter just on the other side of the bulkhead wall.

Last edited by FREAKY FAST; 04-26-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Registered

how is the a/c unit going to be supported and held in place ?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tim brown
how is the a/c unit going to be supported and held in place ?
Not sure how but the installer assured me it would be solid! Will provide pics/info as I get it.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered

Thanks , Tim
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FREAKY FAST
Great question! I didn't want anything messing up the outer looks of the boat so it had to go somewhere on the inside. There won't be any room but the driver's side because of the cup holder/remote fabrication. And since the electrical outlet at my marina is on the driver's side, I opted to have it down low. It is also located about 1' from the power inverter just on the other side of the bulkhead wall. When anchored for extended times, I'll just run my cord from the shore power up and over the corner of my windshield to the generator on my front deck.
Yeah...a portable Honda Generator with a 30A shore power cord draped across the bow powering a window unit along with 2-18" dia megaphone speaker enclosures should not take away from the lines of the boat at all..........
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered

I didn't want anything messing up the outer looks of the boat
When anchored for extended times, I'll just run my cord from the shore power up and over the corner of my windshield to the generator on my front deck.
1) I wouldn't think a random generator sitting on the front of a powerboat, with an extention cord running over the windshield will affect how the boat looks either...(at least the outer looks)

2) The tuna boat rod holders holding the U.S. Navy high pressure sodium search light cannisters probably won't affect the looks either. They look factory stock.

3)Thank God they swivel 360 degrees though.

4) Do you plan on having someone point them at other boaters while you are driving?... like a lazer beam?

5) Will that person make a laser beam sound when laser pointing the navy high pressure sodium search light canisters at other boaters?

6) I will paypal you $5 that when you get stopped/asked (and you will) that the first person asks you how/where you cut 2 tips off of a hippo penis to stick speakers/laser beams into?

7) Do you plan to run speaker wires to the penis tips? Or will those also be crocketted and look like a frayed ski rope dangling over the side of the boat like you are pulling a tuber?

7) There is no way that AC unit is going to stay fastened. I will also paypal you $5 on whether or not it falls out by the time you get it trailered home.

8) You should name your boat "swiss cheese" due to the amount of holes that are in it now.

9) I drew a picture of what I am imagining right now.

10) Good luck with the chop session...
Attached Thumbnails Shore Power and AC on staggered 35' Lightning-61686_l.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great question! I didn't want anything messing up the outer looks of the boat so it had to go somewhere on the inside. There won't be any room but the driver's side because of the cup holder/remote fabrication. And since the electrical outlet at my marina is on the driver's side, I opted to have it down low. It is also located about 1' from the power inverter just on the other side of the bulkhead wall. When anchored for extended times, I'll just run my cord from the shore power up and over the corner of my windshield to the generator on my front deck.
I certainly hope your installers are installing a galvanic isolator too. Not only for your boat, but for the guys boats parked next to you in the marina when you are plugged in to shore power.
As basic as the install seems, marine shore power use does require a couple safety standards. 1 being use of a galvanic isolator, the other installing a grounding wire from the AC panel ground buss (green wire) to your engine block.
There is a reason swimming in marinas is not recommended, possible electrocution do to boats w/o these safety features and electrical problems. Also helps keep your drives from being ate up. If you don't do this for yourself, do it for your neighbor.

I don't see a GFI outlet, just a standard one ?? Also, are you reinstalling the closet, or is it being left out? The TV mounts make me think you are leaving it out.
Just a little tid bit to keep everyone safe.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-25-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.