Prop on 27 Fountain >

Prop on 27 Fountain

Notices

Prop on 27 Fountain

Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msobczyk
So I just purchased a 2003 27' Fountain with a 496 Mag HO. The boat has a 28p Bravo prop on it. Had it out on Saturday and got the motor to about 4950 - 5000 RPM. Isn't it supposed to turn up to about 5200? Should I be using a different prop? If so, what are your recommendations? I figure someone on here will have gone through all of this....

The seller said this is the prop that came with the boat from the factory. It has not been labbed or anything.

Thanks in advance!
1. What gear ratio is your outdrive?

I have a 29 that originally had a 496 in it with a 1.50 Bravo 1 outdrive, and a Bravo 1 28p prop. It was freakin’ horrible!! Way to much prop for that setup! It took forever to plan and I had to much slip.
With the numbers you gave and “if” your outdrive is a 1.50 your slip is somewhere between 17-22% (17% at 73 and 22% at 69) If it were me I’d try a Bravo 1 24 or maybe a 26 to get that slip down and I think you'll be a lot happier with the overall performance.

Talk to Brett at BBlades so you can try them both before you buy one.

http://www.bblades.com/
920-295-4435
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by msobczyk
We left with a Formula 271 Fastech? Red, white & black. Cruised up to Gnarly Gar to eat.

Don't recall seeing a Baja...

Baja/ Formula.....all the same to me.

Do you spin the prop right or left?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It has a Bravo X drive. Not positive of the ratio.

Prop spins counter-clockwise.

I thought Fountain tested all of the boats to ensure they were correctly propped?

I'm totally new to the "go fast" boating scene. Our first boat was a POS Dynasty, then had a VIP runabout, then a Yamaha wakeboard/jet boat and now this Fountain. Quickly learning as much as I can.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Registered

According to Merc, the 496 HO max rpm is 5000 so it would seem you're right in line.

What were the tabs at and drive trim according to the indicators?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
According to Merc, the 496 HO max rpm is 5000 so it would seem you're right in line.

What were the tabs at and drive trim according to the indicators?
Tabs were all the way up. Drive was at 3. Played around with it between say 2 & 5, and 3 seemed to give me the best speed.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

get it in some chop and trim it to 4.5/5. that's where mine likes to go fast.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

assuming the X is close or the same on the different yr models. mine's a '97
Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered

Will do.

Once I fix the speedo, it will be easier to dial in...

I was also thinking about mounting my 7" tablet above the gauges. Could run the speedo app and use it for music.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered

I use an app called SpeedPro, by MotherTucker llc on iPhone. Great app and I just let the phone sit in the cup holder by the glovebox. I can still see the speed and it will save the max on the run as well. There are a ton out there. Personally, i prefer gps over the speed in the boat.

I'm on the water every weekend, usually working for Sea Tow, but will have mine out the week of Memorial Day. I'll flag you down and introduce myself.

Clark
Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Registered

I've just used a basic (free) app called "Speed" (have an Android phone). Used to use it when snowboarding. Just displays mph, kts or kmh on a large gauge.

The Gaffrig speedo is a GPS speedo, but I need the 12v conversion for the GPS receiving unit for it to work again. Since I just got the boat, haven't had it in to get that replaced. Figured a mount above the gauges and under the windshield for my tablet would be sweet and give me a larger "speed gauge" (that could then double as the music control station when in the cove).

So if I do have an issue on the water, you're the man I need to call? Definitely flag me down. We'll be out all weekend and camping in the Lago campground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.