windless anchor >

windless anchor

Notices

windless anchor

Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default windless anchor

has anybody modified a 35 lightning under the beak to have a windless installed there that looks good ? I saw a 38 sport cruiser yesterday that had one , I would like to have one .
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Registered

Oh don't do that to your 35. I have an o6 38 EC and the "Fountain anchor" does not work well at all. I boat in Florida and ended up making a mount inside the anchor locker for a fortress. Also, the highly polished fountain anchor gets scratched easily, now I've got to re-polish mine. I will admit, it does look great though. If you don't have an anchor locker, I would concentrate on seeing if you could make one of those.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

I don't have a anchor locker. I just don't like pulling up the anchor and winding up the line standing on the deck . it would be nicer to push the button and pull it up and leave.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't think it will work w/o having issues.

You need a good size locker below to hold the rope/chain, with depth being most important. Gotta have plenty of free fall below deck for the rope/chain to fall without bunching up. When depth is questionable, all chain rode can work. Then also got to account for which style windlass, verticle or hozizontal. Verticles are more stream lined, but the motor is below deck, once again taking up valuable space.
My cruiser has alot more space and depth in the nose than my Fountain, and I have all chain. When over 50' is let out, I have on occasion had to knock over the pile up so the chain would feed down. Under 50' let out and not a problem. Rope likes to coil up. With water depths commmon on Cumberland, I don't see it working w/o headaches
Old 06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

My 32' fountain SFC has a windlass with vertical motor in the locker. Occasionally it will jump track when the line and chain joint engages in the windlass and stop feeding into the locker. When that happens I go below and pull the line where it enters the locker while someone continues to operate the windlass at the helm.
ed
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

I all most always let out 75 to 100 ft of line at cumberland , thats why I would like to have one .
Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

US 1 are you coming down for the grider hill run next weekend ?