What is this for >

What is this for

Notices

What is this for

Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is this for

on my 29 fever in the back on the tramsom to the gar right and far left near the bottom there is is a hole. Follow the hole up and there is about a 6x6 opening on top and its painted black around the hole and inside. Felt inside one hole near the bottom and it was dry the other one had some water. I dont think I have any lakes and I think its merely just residual water rain or whatever. But so I can check is there anything in that area that could leak? There is no way to get an army up and around to reach in there. Part of the problem there may be a 1/4in of water in it but the hole is to high so it cant drain.

The next question why the hole when there really shouldnt be a logical reason for water to get in there in the first place.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drains for the swim platform extensions, for lack of better words. Any water that gets into those outside pockets gotta have a way to drain into the bilge. But as you found out, those holes aren't at the very bottom. And to top it off, they aren't sealed!!!===transom rot. Might poke around in those holes to see how the wood feels. Or better yet, don't.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

lol, oh i did and it feels pretty firm, so Im good there. Gonna hook the the vacum to a hose and get it out, wondering if making the hole larger would help, or like you said could just make things worse. But thanks for the explanation. Seems as if fountain was brilliant in there water tight construction.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd dry it out as long as possible, then seal the exposed hole with resin. The cheap stuff from AutoZone/Menards will be more than adequate.

Yep, lots of drilled holes with zero effort spent to seal the wood. Job security I guess
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered

it seems everybody with a fountain including mine has water issues. But I guess thats what you get when buy a brand where the focus is primarily on speed, racing and performance. That or like you said ensured return visits from customers.