TRS To #3's

Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would leave them alone and save the threes if you need them
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Not gonna let the boat be down in the middle of summer when I can do it all now and sell the bravo stuff before it breaks.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
They aren't cheap, however, too be honest a XR gearset isn't exactly either. And if you run some respectable power, you'll burn thru 3 of those XR gear sets while that Ssm gear set will still look new.

I've seen more than my share of broken gear sets, snapped vertical shafts, busted cone clutches, and top caps on fellow boating buds boats. Lake Michigan eats bravos .

I remember my buddy BZ who has a 05 42 fountain with 525 Mercs and xr's, poking fun and told me " dude, when did they stop making those #4 drives 1985? " my response was "something like that. Btw, how are those modern drives workin out for ya ?"

Considering he went thru pretty much 1 drive a summer since 2007. My iv's been on since 1996 with blower motors twisting them.

You know those cool old vintage mid 80's offshore videos of cigs, scarabs, apaches, running offshore with some nasty 7000rpm eickert motors running 90+ in 5-7ft seas?? Guess what, they had #3 drives . Try that with a bravo .
And the 3's look much more serious hanging of the back then those bravos.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
They aren't cheap, however, too be honest a XR gearset isn't exactly either. And if you run some respectable power, you'll burn thru 3 of those XR gear sets while that Ssm gear set will still look new.

I've seen more than my share of broken gear sets, snapped vertical shafts, busted cone clutches, and top caps on fellow boating buds boats. Lake Michigan eats bravos .

I remember my buddy BZ who has a 05 42 fountain with 525 Mercs and xr's, poking fun and told me " dude, when did they stop making those #4 drives 1985? " my response was "something like that. Btw, how are those modern drives workin out for ya ?"

Considering he went thru pretty much 1 drive a summer since 2007. My iv's been on since 1996 with blower motors twisting them.

You know those cool old vintage mid 80's offshore videos of cigs, scarabs, apaches, running offshore with some nasty 7000rpm eickert motors running 90+ in 5-7ft seas?? Guess what, they had #3 drives . Try that with a bravo .
I agree but we are talking about a 7500 lb 33 ft boat with 600 n/a motors. Not a 40/38 ft 11,000lb beast. The three's are so long that you have to raise them way too high on that boat. They cracked the transom on mine .If anything put 4 or 5's on it. Im just saying 600 on that boat no problem.. Plus when you go to sell it a boat that size I bet a bravo boat sells faster..
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur82
I agree but we are talking about a 7500 lb 33 ft boat with 600 n/a motors. Not a 40/38 ft 11,000lb beast. The three's are so long that you have to raise them way too high on that boat. They cracked the transom on mine .If anything put 4 or 5's on it. Im just saying 600 on that boat no problem.. Plus when you go to sell it a boat that size I bet a bravo boat sells faster..
I do agree with the iv or v being better for a 10m. Nice thing about them is being able keep the engines low in the boat, and still have a good propshaft height.

I guess alot has to do with how you like to run your boat, and what kind of water you run in. 600's and bravos can be a great combo, and last a long time if your a sane person. But if you're the guy who likes going out and running hard in big water, airing the boat out, lots of throttling, the ssm is the way to go. My buddy who has a 10M with iv's on boxes, has been running blown 588's for many years. He runs the $HIT out of that boat in big water. Drives havent been a issue. As for speed, his boat was a reggie fountain special, rigged with the iv's and big power from day 1. That boat has got real close to 120mph.