Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
1997 35 Lightning speed >

1997 35 Lightning speed

Notices

1997 35 Lightning speed

Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was never a huge fountain fan, I think because he couple of fountain owners turned me off when I owned my sonic, and there is literally hundreds of fountains on the chesapeake bay. On any given day at a popular dock bar you could easily see 12-15 of them. Then the sexy lines on the 32-35 beaks grew on me. Also I hated the way my sonic performed all the way across the board. Dragging the trim tabs to keep her stable, slowest of all my go fast friends. So I started to say to myself that maybe theres a real good reason why theres a ton of fountains around! I absolutely love the 35 lightning whether it be an older single step or a newer twin step. But the lines on the single step with the race fairing is a timeless look for me that will probably look great forever.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

A couple
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too have had them all! Scarabs bajas etc,, nothing compares w/fountains! you aim straight they go straight at any speed! none better- get a 38 if you go over 90 mph in rough water
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ratedx
i too have had them all! Scarabs bajas etc,, nothing compares w/fountains! you aim straight they go straight at any speed! none better- get a 38 if you go over 90 mph in rough water
did my fall run this weekend and held it wide open 90 mph +/- in various conditions through out the day. My co pilot was so impressed he was checking 2 diff gps because he could not believe we were going that fast in those conditions (big windshield also makes it deceptive) at every stop it was the same 2 38 fountains, 1 42 number 6 fountain, and two skater cats ther first. Boat is amazingly stable at speed, I still can't figure out how that loto driver spun that ship!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Since Ive owned my old 38, Ive been becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Fountains. My hull is 22 years old, not a stress crack anywhere. Well, there are a couple hairline cracks in the GEL in the upper corners where the glove box is, but minor and strictly cosmetic. Compared to some other boats around here that been on lake michigan, they have structural cracks, from the hull flexing and bending. Ive seen it from bajas to cigarettes to scarabs. Talking older boats mainly, but again im comparing my 1990 to other boats of that era.

So structurally, Im impressed with Fountain. Performance wise, I was out a couple days ago, running along at 85mph. No tabs, drives trimmed a little positive. I was running against a 1ft chop, with a occasional 2ft'er on lake michigan. Stable as can be, no chine walking, no bow flutter, no listing, just motoring along, running true

Having been out many times in heavy seas, and Im not talking about that "get on top of it and run hard", but seas that send a 41 apache airborne. The Fountain does well for what it is, and the hull feels solid when you land hard. It does not have that shuddering, dash is gonna fall off kind of landing. Does it ride a little harder than say a top gun, probably. But doesnt a corvette ride a little harder than a town car? And isnt a corvette a heck of a lot more fun to drive than a town car?

To sum it up, you get solid constructed hull, good speed, good handling. For the most part, whether it be a 35, 38, or 42, if 500's arent enough, upgrading to 800's, 900's, 1000's, are always a option in a fountain. Not many boats can upgrade horspower and accept the new high speed levels as well as a Fountain. Their hulls accept it with a smile.

I know of several 10 Meter and 35's with big power. 100+ is common. These guys go out, and continually run 100+ weekend after weekend. Some may say a 35 is a 31ft boat. Ok, show me some 31ft V bottoms that run as good at 100+. Most of them after 90 you better have you're big boy balls strapped on and a depends undergarment because you just might let out a little pee when that sucker starts getting out of sort.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Since Ive owned my old 38, Ive been becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Fountains. My hull is 22 years old, not a stress crack anywhere. Well, there are a couple hairline cracks in the GEL in the upper corners where the glove box is, but minor and strictly cosmetic. Compared to some other boats around here that been on lake michigan, they have structural cracks, from the hull flexing and bending. Ive seen it from bajas to cigarettes to scarabs. Talking older boats mainly, but again im comparing my 1990 to other boats of that era.

So structurally, Im impressed with Fountain. Performance wise, I was out a couple days ago, running along at 85mph. No tabs, drives trimmed a little positive. I was running against a 1ft chop, with a occasional 2ft'er on lake michigan. Stable as can be, no chine walking, no bow flutter, no listing, just motoring along, running true

Having been out many times in heavy seas, and Im not talking about that "get on top of it and run hard", but seas that send a 41 apache airborne. The Fountain does well for what it is, and the hull feels solid when you land hard. It does not have that shuddering, dash is gonna fall off kind of landing. Does it ride a little harder than say a top gun, probably. But doesnt a corvette ride a little harder than a town car? And isnt a corvette a heck of a lot more fun to drive than a town car?

To sum it up, you get solid constructed hull, good speed, good handling. For the most part, whether it be a 35, 38, or 42, if 500's arent enough, upgrading to 800's, 900's, 1000's, are always a option in a fountain. Not many boats can upgrade horspower and accept the new high speed levels as well as a Fountain. Their hulls accept it with a smile.

I know of several 10 Meter and 35's with big power. 100+ is common. These guys go out, and continually run 100+ weekend after weekend. Some may say a 35 is a 31ft boat. Ok, show me some 31ft V bottoms that run as good at 100+. Most of them after 90 you better have you're big boy balls strapped on and a depends undergarment because you just might let out a little pee when that sucker starts getting out of sort.
What Joe is trying to say here is that you should buy my boat. Lol.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
What Joe is trying to say here is that you should buy my boat. Lol.
Your boat is beautiful.... I sold a strait v though, hen I purchase again it will be a step hull boat for sure. Love the 35 fountain and 32 sunsation.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered

Ihave a 35 single step with 500HPs its a ROCKET SHIP onthe bay
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonickevin95
Your boat is beautiful.... I sold a strait v though, hen I purchase again it will be a step hull boat for sure. Love the 35 fountain and 32 sunsation.
Check again dude...mine is a single step. 1995 was the first year.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Check again dude...mine is a single step. 1995 was the first year.
My apologies, I thought it was 96.... The problem is getting banks to lend on boats of this age. The cash only buyer makes a limited market for these boats. I dont have that kind of money just laying around in a napsack..... The at that you purchased is a remarkable boat by the way. Dude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.