trailering a 38 express cruiser >

trailering a 38 express cruiser

Notices

trailering a 38 express cruiser

Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

38fountainecman I never got your reply to my pm and its says you inbox is full.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

E-mail sent 38fountainecman
Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
I have a 2006 Amera Trail triple axle aluminum trailer. I have tie down disk brakes with an electric over hydraulic pump. Be very careful with brakes as I previously had kodiak brakes and they spit brake pads like Larry the Cable Guy spits tobacco. I have been much happier with the tie down brakes. If you need a trailer, you might want to let Amera Trail give you a quote. I have one awesome trailer and Scott at Amer Trail (go on-line or call at 407-892-1100) will pretty much custom build you what you want. He builds a lot of major fishing boat trailers and a lot for the government, ships all over the Country. He even finished the welds on mine and then I had mine powder coated red to match my boat. My boat is about 10'-4" to the top of the windshield and about 13'-6" to the top of the radar arch.

Kodiak uses full metalic pads and they grab harder under heat. You guys turn your brake controller wide open loaded and it will grab and spit them out.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member

TN has a year permit for over dimensional for $100 which is no problem at all. If you go by the law you cannot pull on Sundays, nights, or any holidays. That is because the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement guys are off as well as the weigh stations. When you pull out of state you have to have a permit in each state each day which again isn't cost prohibitive, just a pain to not tow at night or on Sunday when you want to come home.

Now that being said... I have pulled mine on Sunday on the way back from Jacksonville and Cumberland and when I went to Destin I didn't even pull permits because I haven't been checked. Now I am pulling a cat which if you are behind me looks the 10' 6" width but not really from the side... That 38EC looks big on the trailer for sure and might draw a little more attention. That 13'6" height will be something you have to pay attention to in many areas. To follow the permit you will have to have a flashing amber light on the rear and "Wide Load" banners front and back along with flags at every corner of truck and trailer. Again, I don't but just wanted to let you know what you are "suppose" to do! I have heard a bunch of horror stories about being impounded and fined etc... from guys who have been stopped but I've been lucky so far.

It is a big difference pulling a 8'6" and a 10'+ trailer IMO as well... Just go in eyes wide open and I can't wait to see one on B Dock!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
TN has a year permit for over dimensional for $100 which is no problem at all. If you go by the law you cannot pull on Sundays, nights, or any holidays. That is because the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement guys are off as well as the weigh stations. When you pull out of state you have to have a permit in each state each day which again isn't cost prohibitive, just a pain to not tow at night or on Sunday when you want to come home.

Now that being said... I have pulled mine on Sunday on the way back from Jacksonville and Cumberland and when I went to Destin I didn't even pull permits because I haven't been checked. Now I am pulling a cat which if you are behind me looks the 10' 6" width but not really from the side... That 38EC looks big on the trailer for sure and might draw a little more attention. That 13'6" height will be something you have to pay attention to in many areas. To follow the permit you will have to have a flashing amber light on the rear and "Wide Load" banners front and back along with flags at every corner of truck and trailer. Again, I don't but just wanted to let you know what you are "suppose" to do! I have heard a bunch of horror stories about being impounded and fined etc... from guys who have been stopped but I've been lucky so far.

It is a big difference pulling a 8'6" and a 10'+ trailer IMO as well... Just go in eyes wide open and I can't wait to see one on B Dock!!
I have a contract on one subject to sea trial and survey. We'll see how it goes. Maybe you can see it in a few weeks.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EMS Diver: Unloaded my PM box, please re-send and I'll respond
Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pull my 38EC with a Dodge Ram dually diesel (5.9 Liter Cummins ISB) It pulls and stops fine. Open road towing not a problem. Getting it down tight roads in town becomes interesting, especially when road signs are very close to the edge of the road, but doable. Total weight (boat & trailer) is approximately 15,000 lbs. The boat and trailer are 10 feet wide so check your road restrictions for wide loads.

By the way, the 38EC is an excellent choice. You'll find you end up passing most every other cruiser in this size range, and it's a fairly comfortable boat to generally hang out on too.

Last edited by SR-71; 09-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.