what exactly are these holes for

Notices

what exactly are these holes for

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by flying J
This could be why I have a strange water leak that doesnt happen unless the boat is moving across the water. Even if the engines are running I never get water unless I move the boat at a high speed across the water
I dont think they are the cause of your leak. They wouldnt be in the water at high speed.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

We had a trip 42 that didnt have ball valves either. I don't think i have seen ball valves on any. And yes the hoses are to break suction
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flying J
This could be why I have a strange water leak that doesnt happen unless the boat is moving across the water. Even if the engines are running I never get water unless I move the boat at a high speed across the water
your headers probably leak. look for signs of water dripping at the joints. Do you have a pic of your relief holes or hoses?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by homan
I'm new to the fountain family so please put my ignorance aside. The holes in question are 2 thru hull fittings on a 29 fever in the hull just above the drain plugs on the bottom of the step up, and are connected with 1 1/4" hose to thru hull fittings on port and starboard next to the bilge discharge fittings. I'm thinking could they be to ventilate the hull and if so do they actually work. 2nd. guess was were they for thru hull water pickups if the boat had twins.
you could probably use these holes. I have seen water pickups by the drain plugs before. But not sure if that is the best place for the water pickups.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 203 Posts

We had a trip 42 that didnt have ball valves either. I don't think i have seen ball valves on any. And yes the hoses are to break suction
Isn't there a coast guard regulation that says any through hull near or below the water line has to have a safety check valve?

If water can get in, I would want a valve on it. Mine has one on this planing device and, yes, it is in a place that is near impossible to get to. But if my boat is taking on water from there, I'll find a way to get under the motor to shut it off!