Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Is a CAV plate really needed when running a 5 or 6 blad prop? >

Is a CAV plate really needed when running a 5 or 6 blad prop?

Notices

Is a CAV plate really needed when running a 5 or 6 blad prop?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a CAV plate really needed when running a 5 or 6 blad prop?

I am caught in a deliema, I was going to go back to me -3 shorties but if I do, I have to cut my Cav plate. Literally cut it off. Questions is, has anybody done this on a Fountain pref years 95-98 and was the boat able to get on plane ok? Also, If I were to run a large diameter maximus or a 6 blade, is a Cav plate really needed? I cant see these two props not being able to get the boat on plan without a cav plate but I dont want to experiment with a newer SCX upper Drive.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 430 Likes on 207 Posts

Ventilation plate....

I wouldn't alter the design of the drive. Are you worried the larger diameter might not fit?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
Ventilation plate....

I wouldn't alter the design of the drive. Are you worried the larger diameter might not fit?
The folks at Imco told me with the SCX upper and the SC lower the max I can go is a -2 if I put the -3 on, the largest diameter prop I can use is 14.5 inches otherwsie the prop will be hitting the Cavation plate. From the looks of it Im not even sure if it can be cut off. It doesnt look like it
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 430 Likes on 207 Posts

No, seriously it is called the anti-ventilation plate.

Show me a boat that has it removed and it will be a first. So, I wouldn't suggest you do it for the sake of running a larger diameter prop than what was meant for the drive to begin with.

Expensive lab experiment.

I suggest you contact one of the prop expert shops on the board and start there.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't end up running those -3s would you be interested in selling them?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Registered

I am very curious to see how this one turns out....lol.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

No anti ventilation plates on my drives, or these lol.
Attached Thumbnails Is a CAV plate really needed when running a 5 or 6 blad prop?-img_0423.jpg   Is a CAV plate really needed when running a 5 or 6 blad prop?-img_0704.jpg   Is a CAV plate really needed when running a 5 or 6 blad prop?-img_0829.jpg  

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing.. I got a imco-2 with my boat but he wasn't running the stainless steel Imco cav plate that bolts to the upper. I do have one that I can put on it...any plus or negs to running with or without?

Last edited by Drock78; 02-20-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drock78
I'm wondering the same thing.. I got a imco-2 with my boat but he wasn't running the stainless steel Imco cav plate that bolts to the upper. I do have one that I can put on it...any plus or negs to running with or without?
I didn't notice an appreciable difference when I put them on my -2 lowers. Initially, I thought they would save me from cavitating on re-entry...but the only real adjustment that had to be made was my throttling (there was a big difference in the throttling between normal length drives and -2s on my boat).

+ would be that they look cool AND they are a nice step to use to get onto the swim platform...
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I didn't notice an appreciable difference when I put them on my -2 lowers. Initially, I thought they would save me from cavitating on re-entry...but the only real adjustment that had to be made was my throttling (there was a big difference in the throttling between normal length drives and -2s on my boat).

+ would be that they look cool AND they are a nice step to use to get onto the swim platform...
Please educate me grasshoppa...do you have to stay out of it a tad longer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.