Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Throttles??? >

Throttles???

Notices

Throttles???

Old 07-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Bunt

Question Throttles???

Why does Fountain put the throttles on the left hand side instead of the right? Being right-handed, I would feel like I want the control of the trottles in my right hand. With the throttles on the left, I would feel like I didn't have as much control.

Is Reggie left-handed?? Can you order a new Fountain with the throttles on the right hand side??

Just thought I would ask.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Reggie's words the throttles are on the left for, "unrestricted throttle arm movement." If they were on the right your throttle arm's movement is restricted by the side of the boat. I think its also a throwback to racing boats where the throttle was on the left of the driver so either the driver or the throttleman could work them. That way if one person were incapacitated during a run one person could drive the boat back.

Dont worry it only takes a few times out to get used to the left hand throttle. I felt kind of funny the first few times out but now after owning the boat for 2.5 months its second nature.

Ron
Old 07-22-2002, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it would be weird to have a left throttle. However now that I have it, I like it better than the right throttle. Reason is normally I use my right hand to drive anyway. I noticed in my ski boat I find myself switching hands on the steering wheel so I can change throttle. Not so with the left hand throttle.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me a couple of times out to get it into my head, no bid deal now.

Dumb Question (don't laugh) - is the forward gear on everyone elses boat down (reverse up)? I just want to make sure that I wasn't sold the wrong direction prop.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:41 PM
zackattack

Running a Fever,

My throttle goes up for forward and down to reverse. My prop is left turning.

Zack Attack

Old 07-22-2002, 05:20 PM
lefty

RUNNIN A FEVER,

I hate to tell you this, but you're gears are backwards. You can correct it by either switching your prop rotation or switch your gear cables. A lot of guys with twins switch their props to rotate in or out and that makes the gears work in reverse. So to correct it they just switch the cables.

Lefty

Old 07-22-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

Up is forward. You can switch the cables to take care of the problem. I would ask the other members which way there prop rotates. There are could be an advantages to prop rotation on your boat.
Dan
Old 07-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. So am I correct in understanding that my drive is turning the correct way for "forward" or is it operating in reverse to move forward? Does it make a difference which way the gears turn? As best I can tell my prop rotates to the right.

To "switch the cables" all I need to do is get under the dash and physically change the connection points?

I just don't want to damage my drive.

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Registered

What size and year is your Fountain? I beleive they put lefties on all single engine Fountains.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:03 PM
Registered

Before you change the cable make sure you are using the right rotation. Did you buy the boat used or new? Is this the prop that came on it? The Fountain web site calls for a right hand prop. You can run the Bravo in either direction without hurting it. You are correct that the cable needs to be moved to the other side of the handle. If the boat has many hours on it I would want to keep the same rotation. If you change props that will cure the problem also.

Dan

Quick Reply: Throttles???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.