Engine Options >

Engine Options

Notices

Engine Options

Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Options

Looking for a website for information on engine specs. I've been boating for years and next year I will be looking for a 1998-2003 35 Lightning or Executioner (leaning towards the lightning). I've always wanted a fountain. If I could pick, I would probably go with 500 HP EFI's. I would like to read up a little more on the 496, 500, 502, 525's. I like to do research before I buy. Feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is my attempt and .02

The 502 (black motors) are solid. 415hp. fairly low maintenance and reliable, and old school. I think you can wake them up with new heads and cams fairly easy. They are the same bottom end as the HP500 and 500EFI (someone correct me if I am wrong).

The 496HO - 425hp - low maintenance and very reliable.

The HP500 (carb) and the 500EFI (blue power) are to arm wrestle about. Some like carbs, some like fuel injection. I think the HP500s need spring/valve job sooner than the 500EFI.

The 525 - awesome turn key engines. fairly reliable. Aggressive cam so changing the springs is one of the first things. There were major issues with the exhaust manifolds leaking. (do a search).

It all depends on your liking.

If you want a cheap, low maintenance but slower (no offense guys) 35 fountain then get the 496s. You will still be faster than the 35 Baja's lol.

If you want some extra power then I personally would shoot for a 500EFI boat.

If you want to get crazy then get an 07+ 35 with the stagger 525s. They run around 100mph bone stock but you pay for it.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by keegan
Here is my attempt and .02

The 502 (black motors) are solid. 415hp. fairly low maintenance and reliable, and old school. I think you can wake them up with new heads and cams fairly easy. They are the same bottom end as the HP500 and 500EFI (someone correct me if I am wrong).

The 496HO - 425hp - low maintenance and very reliable.

The HP500 (carb) and the 500EFI (blue power) are to arm wrestle about. Some like carbs, some like fuel injection. I think the HP500s need spring/valve job sooner than the 500EFI.

The 525 - awesome turn key engines. fairly reliable. Aggressive cam so changing the springs is one of the first things. There were major issues with the exhaust manifolds leaking. (do a search).

It all depends on your liking.

If you want a cheap, low maintenance but slower (no offense guys) 35 fountain then get the 496s. You will still be faster than the 35 Baja's lol.

If you want some extra power then I personally would shoot for a 500EFI boat.

If you want to get crazy then get an 07+ 35 with the stagger 525s. They run around 100mph bone stock but you pay for it.
thx Keegan! That's the kind of info I was looking for...what is the horsepower on the 500's and the 525? 500 horse & 525 horse?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

I have a nice assortment of 35s listed, various years all with different motor options. Check my site for high-res photos on each.
Glenn
www.performanceboatcenter.com