Soon to be new owner (hopefully)!!! >

Soon to be new owner (hopefully)!!!

Notices

Soon to be new owner (hopefully)!!!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Soon to be new owner (hopefully)!!!

Hi all.. New to the forum!! Been out of boating for about 20 years (life, kids, etc) but now getting back in.

Currently looking at a 2000 Lightning 38 with 500 EFI's with 250 hours on them. Boat is in very good condition and from appearances, looks like its been well kept. Having survey done this week.

Anything particular with this model year on boat or engines that I should really look out for? Appreciate any feedback.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope all goes well with the survey. The only thing I can think of is the 500's need valve springs replaced etc every 200 to 300 hrs or so. I replace impellers every season, don't need that problem while being out on the water. Good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

There are a few cosmetic issues like some pitting around the interior frame of the windshield and it looks like it was painted over a bit. Is there a good way to remove that and restore it?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to re-paint my windshield frame on my 06 38EC. Removed windshield, stripped the powder coat with chemical paint remover and took it to a local paint shop to re-paint. I re-painted mine red to match the color of the boat. Came out and went back on very easy. I think the painter used an epoxy primer with a single stage polyurethane paint. No corrosion for about 3 years now on the new paint. Good luck and hope you get the boat.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
I had to re-paint my windshield frame on my 06 38EC. Removed windshield, stripped the powder coat with chemical paint remover and took it to a local paint shop to re-paint. I re-painted mine red to match the color of the boat. Came out and went back on very easy. I think the painter used an epoxy primer with a single stage polyurethane paint. No corrosion for about 3 years now on the new paint. Good luck and hope you get the boat.
Thanks, that's helpful. Having my friend who's a performance engine guru check out engines tomorrow morning and if that goes well, full survey and sea trial this Saturday and if that goes well, she'll be mine. Not getting a lot of sleep these days from the excitement and anticipation!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going to do the top ends, do the head gaskets as well. Merc ran a single layer head gasket those years, a MLS head gasket is cheap insurance.

I also had my windshield repainted, I color matched it to the boat and it looks 100 times better IMO. For some reason the dark blue gives it a sleeker look.

Besides that, just the normal. Change impellers and housings, filters, oil, gas and go. Let her eat, great bottom and an easy boat to drive fast in any conditions.

Congrats.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well, new wrinkle... Found another one.. a 2005 with staggered 525 efi's with less than 100 hours on it. Seriously considering this one as well... Aside from the obvious that it's 5 years younger and far fewer hours... it's also twice the price... any 2005 staggered 38 owners out there care to comment???
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Well, new wrinkle... Found another one.. a 2005 with staggered 525 efi's with less than 100 hours on it. Seriously considering this one as well... Aside from the obvious that it's 5 years younger and far fewer hours... it's also twice the price... any 2005 staggered 38 owners out there care to comment???

Only thing I can think of on that model would be to carefully inspect the headers. Leak test those with a fine tooth comb.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
That's the latest bottom, like mine. Bigger steps, may have monster gauges. Also has composites in some areas the 2000 did not. The 525 also has XR's, the 2000 most like has B1. Many of the semi stag boats of that year also have ITS, nice options. The 2005 may also have paint/clear vs just gel found on many of the older models.

That 2000 small step boat stock is 80 mph with 500's. The 2005 semi stag with 525 should run 90, and many have reached mid 90's with prop and x changes with imco lowers. I have not witnessed these numbers in person, have only read and heard. Bottom line the 525 is a stout engine. The headers should be sent back to CMI, but not every header fails....we just hear about the ones that do....and it is never good.

Both nice rides, but not an apples to apples comparison, hence the price jump

Personally if you can afford it go newer. You won't depreciate much over the next few years, the 2000 is already a problem to finance which will effect resale if you want out in the near future. Sans the headers the 525s are bulletproof, smart craft compatable, closed cooled, and have better impeller technology. The 2005 hardware alone (engines, drives, transom ass) are $30k more on the used market vs what is on the 2000
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
That's the latest bottom, like mine. Bigger steps, may have monster gauges. Also has composites in some areas the 2000 did not. The 525 also has XR's, the 2000 most like has B1. Many of the semi stag boats of that year also have ITS, nice options. The 2005 may also have paint/clear vs just gel found on many of the older models.

That 2000 small step boat stock is 80 mph with 500's. The 2005 semi stag with 525 should run 90, and many have reached mid 90's with prop and x changes with imco lowers. I have not witnessed these numbers in person, have only read and heard. Bottom line the 525 is a stout engine. The headers should be sent back to CMI, but not every header fails....we just hear about the ones that do....and it is never good.

Both nice rides, but not an apples to apples comparison, hence the price jump

Personally if you can afford it go newer. You won't depreciate much over the next few years, the 2000 is already a problem to finance which will effect resale if you want out in the near future. Sans the headers the 525s are bulletproof, smart craft compatable, closed cooled, and have better impeller technology. The 2005 hardware alone (engines, drives, transom ass) are $30k more on the used market vs what is on the 2000
+1...have headers checked...spend the extra money..get the 05. MUCH better boat...IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.