gas tank leak? >

gas tank leak?

Notices

gas tank leak?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank leak?

I filled my 99 32' Fever up for the forst time a couple of weeks ago. It's the most fuel I have had in it, and now, I am getting a disting fuel smell, mostly in the cuddy. It's only after trailering it, or running hard across the water. It will go away after we stop and air it out, and will not do it while idling. I can't see where the filler hose hooks to the tank, so I'm not sure how to get to it to check. The boat dosen't seem to be of the vintage that Fountain had fuel tank issues, but who knows? I really don't have any idea where to start. Any push in the right direction that would keep me from having to cut the floor out of my boat would be greatly appeciated.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Had the same issue when I had my 32 and then again on my 27. I had a bad gasket between the sending unit / fuel float and the top of the tank. It's under the rear seat. Replaced it and never had an odor again
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Registered

I facebooked fountain and they said to replace the fuel fill and vent hoses. A while back someone said check the sending unit seal and re-seal with permatex hylomar. I haven't done either yet. Maybe I'll reseal it this weekend! It is a problem since I won't sleep on the boat until it is solved.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Registered

I have seen a little info on replacing the filler/vent hoses, but I really can't see how to get to the tank side. It goes under the floor in front of the pass side storage, and I can't see the other end.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you fill it to the top it will splash out of the vent while trailering it and for the first 5 gallons. Watch the vent when running and pulling down the road, i never fill mine up that far. I did till i saw it spewing, but thats on a 42.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by txtraveller2002
I filled my 99 32' Fever up for the forst time a couple of weeks ago. It's the most fuel I have had in it, and now, I am getting a disting fuel smell, mostly in the cuddy. It's only after trailering it, or running hard across the water. It will go away after we stop and air it out, and will not do it while idling. I can't see where the filler hose hooks to the tank, so I'm not sure how to get to it to check. The boat dosen't seem to be of the vintage that Fountain had fuel tank issues, but who knows? I really don't have any idea where to start. Any push in the right direction that would keep me from having to cut the floor out of my boat would be greatly appeciated.
Last year I removed my handrails to get them powder coated and to get to the rear bolt I hade to remove the "header" were the stereo is mounted and cut a hole to reach the bolt and if I remember correctly you could see the filler port. So maybe if you removed your icebox/sink you can reach the filler hose.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Awesome, Thanks!! My other option was to put a round access port in the floor like what's under the rear seat. I just didn't have any idea where to cut the hole. In searching old threads, someone said the did just that, so if amyone has a pic, I would greatly appreciate it. I'll try pulling the cooler/sink first though.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
mjc
Registered

I am having this same problem on my 2002 29'. Mine seems lke it is coming from the fill hoses, because it is worse in cabin area but only near motor after running and moving air back into engine compartment. So did anybody find out how to get to lower end of fill hose? I can see the top end thru side hatch below the seat but not the other end.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
mjc
Registered

Talked to Real fast Marine today and was told you have to put a hole in the floor to get to hose on the tank. he said it was right near the left wall because the tank is about 4 feet wide. i will probably run to Havasu where my boat is next week and see what is involved. i will take pictures of what i have to do.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Registered

That would be exceptionally awesome if you could do that. Thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.