Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
27 fountain 2001 external steering rams-Latham marked as Fountain?? >

27 fountain 2001 external steering rams-Latham marked as Fountain??

Notices

27 fountain 2001 external steering rams-Latham marked as Fountain??

Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default 27 fountain 2001 external steering rams-Latham marked as Fountain??

Working on some other issues for a customer on his 2001 27 foot fountain. He says his external steering rams are leaking from end seals, the rams are marked with "fountain " stickers and look nothing like my Imcos on my own boat, did Fountain have Latham make their steering and have Fountain stickers made for them? I am looking for ram cap seals and trying to figure out where to get them, thanks, Smitty
Old 07-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

mine are the same way,,there was a time when Fountain made their own steering,,I had a leak on one of mine,,dropped it off at a hydraulic shop and they rebuild the ram for $110.00..
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
mine are the same way,,there was a time when Fountain made their own steering,,I had a leak on one of mine,,dropped it off at a hydraulic shop and they rebuild the ram for $110.00..
+ 1
During the 2000-2003 years fountain went away from full Latham systems to save money. They still used some of Latham's fittings but not their cylinders. A local hydraulic shop should be able to help with new seals.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Interesting, never would have thought they assembled there own but I guess if every boat they built had hyd steering and they couldn't get the deal they wanted they could source the parts out and do it themselves. I was shocked when I took the steering ear cap off back of the drive and it was solid cast iron, not aluminum, I swear it weighed 15+ lbs, I guess maybe it was built in ballast!!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Swap it out with an aluminum one and it will sit like a normal boat! Lol
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Interesting, never would have thought they assembled there own but I guess if every boat they built had hyd steering and they couldn't get the deal they wanted they could source the parts out and do it themselves. I was shocked when I took the steering ear cap off back of the drive and it was solid cast iron, not aluminum, I swear it weighed 15+ lbs, I guess maybe it was built in ballast!!
yep mine was heavy as well ,,send it out and got it powder coated black and back on it went..
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
My '99 has the Fountain branded system. Their rear cap is cast SS, and very porous at that. Thus why they are painted black. I replaced them with polished Lathem caps.