2000 '38 Lightning Fuel Tank Questions >

2000 '38 Lightning Fuel Tank Questions

Notices

2000 '38 Lightning Fuel Tank Questions

Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 '38 Lightning Fuel Tank Questions

2000 38 Lightning. Through every body's help I know my tanks are roughly 90gal and there is one for each engine. Is there only one fuel pickup or are there two? My gauges were not reading properly so I ran out of gas and when I put gas in one engine did not crank. I put 45 gallons in that side and then topped it off with 15 more gallons once on trailer. I'm no mathematical genius but that's only 60 gallons. Hence the questions for 2 pickups for fuel. Could someone please shed some light on this for me?? Thanks.

Last edited by 682gold; 07-30-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 682gold
2000 39 Lightning. Through every body's help I know my tanks are roughly 90gal and there is one for each engine. Is there only one fuel pickup or are there two? My gauges were not reading properly so I ran out of gas and when I put gas in one engine did not crank. I put 45 gallons in that side and then topped it off with 15 more gallons once on trailer. I'm no mathematical genius but that's only 60 gallons. Hence the questions for 2 pickups for fuel. Could someone please shed some light on this for me?? Thanks.
Each has its own pick up, and fill, and they are not linked. The hoses come out in the engine bay, and may have shut off valves on them, then they lead directly to each engines fule pump. My 04 has twin 115 gallon tanks. The gas gauges are worthless.

What engines do you have? For the year of your boat- the mechanical fuel pump (if equipped) is linked to the sea water pump and they are known to fail, no fuel pressure no startie

Also after running dry on fuel the filter/water separator may have to be primed if it was ran completely dry to ease with restarting, but my guess is you had a fuel pump failure.

Did both engines run out at the same time? Because that would be extremely rare, mine are never equal on fill ups.

Last edited by 4bus; 07-30-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Each has its own pick up, and fill, and they are not linked. The hoses come out in the engine bay, and may have shut off valves on them, then they lead directly to each engines fule pump. My 04 has twin 115 gallon tanks. The gas gauges are worthless.

What engines do you have? For the year of your boat- the mechanical fuel pump (if equipped) is linked to the sea water pump and they are known to fail, no fuel pressure no startie

Also after running dry on fuel the filter/water separator may have to be primed if it was ran completely dry to ease with restarting, but my guess is you had a fuel pump failure.

Did both engines run out at the same time? Because that would be extremely rare, mine are never equal on fill ups.
525sc's and no they didn't run out same time. I finally dug into the engine compartment and scraped off the top of the tanks to see the sticker. 96 gallons