502 Blowers? >

502 Blowers?

Notices

502 Blowers?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 502 Blowers?

I have recently purchased a 1993 Fountain 32 Fever with bone stock 502s with 10 hours on them. My intention is to use the boat until next fall and either ADD blowers to the existing engines or just build a new pair of blown 454s and slip those in next year. It has Bravo drives I am thinking about staying fairly mellow with the boost 6-8 lbs. I am not sure exactly how much power that would make, my background is pro street cars and we used mild cams with smog heads and still developed between 650 and 750 HP, I was under driving between 10-20% does anybody know how this type of set up will work on the water.
I am looking for direction, I understand I have to watch the drives and HP I don't have the money to buy new Imcos or ASD. So any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run 250 series blowers on The MPI 502.Maybe 550 hp at best 5 pounds of boost). If you want more you would have to do something different internally. And Intercoolers. 700 hp is tough on a Bravo, so baby it up to speed..
Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am from Chicago area originally and always used Gary Dyers blowers on my cars, so I am thinking about roots style 8-71s under driven like I said. HOPING I am going down the correct path.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Control Freak 32
I am from Chicago area originally and always used Gary Dyers blowers on my cars, so I am thinking about roots style 8-71s under driven like I said. HOPING I am going down the correct path.
Well those are nice blowers. They will be blower surging back and fourth probably unless you have a fuel injection on top. You just have to run different clearences because the block is always cold. ( you probably know this) Street clearences wont work unless you put in closed cooling. Merc 525's and 496's come with radiators and close cooling . .But I think you will be running just strait water and no closed cooling with you boat. It would be nice to have the 871's . probably won't really need intercoolers with those blowers unless you crank Chit up. .