Winter Upgrades 2013 >

Winter Upgrades 2013

Notices

Winter Upgrades 2013

Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Upgrades 2013

I was looking back at the old winter upgrade post and the post about all the snow up north that gave me the inspiration to start one for this year. Ok. I'll start it up.

Going to add some LED lighting to the cockpit and engine compartment. Red accent on boats so red in cockpit and blue in the engine compartment to go with the mercury racing blue on the 525SC's. All the JL Speakers are going to get LED rings in Red and cup holders will have LED's as well. Carpet in cabin is old aqua color and it is gong to go grey. I am going to do some underwater LED's of the stern. I think they will be blue or white. I would really like to go red but I heard it doesn't show up well in the water. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this!! I would also love to get my windshield cut down but not sure if I will be able to make that happen. A few minor maintenance items and I should b ready to hit the water in April!! Damn glad I,m not snowed in like some of you. Here in SC it was 68 and sunny today. Getting cold at night down to 39 ish.:lolhit
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few minor things for me.. installing VHF radio, draining system on headers, blue powder coated deck rail on stern and possibly some graphics on the sides of the hull..
Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did something a little different than the regular LED speaker rings, located the LEDs inside my JL's. Plus the looks of the speakers sticking out further for the spacer rings and how they looked during the day with a clear plastic spacer, just didn't cut it with me. They look awesome with the music as the light beats with the music do to the light reflecting off the speaker cones as they move.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Upgrades 2013-speaker.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-28-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Was that tricky to do US1? Looks sweet I might try that upgrade!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered

Man that looks cool. Where did you put the LED's? The acrylic rings don't do it for me either!!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Took some time to do. The end result was well worth the effort. Just gotta use the small 8 cm wide LED strips lights. The standard width ones are too wide and won't fit.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Upgrades 2013-photo-6.jpg   Winter Upgrades 2013-photo-2.jpg   Winter Upgrades 2013-photo-1.jpg  

Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Registered

Did you use double sided tape, epoxy or some other adhesive?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Te LED strips come with double sided tape installed. Once it's on, it's on. My speakers have the tweeters in the grills, so I had to be really careful undoing the wiring to pull the grills away. Plus the grills required a little bit of clearancing (cutting back) at the 6 mounting ears on the back side to clear the LEDs. Not a big deal, just something needed done. A dremel with a cutoff blade and a 10-15 minutes each speaker grill did the job.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Upgrades 2013-photo-5.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered

Where did you get the LEDs?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Those particular ones I got from my local car audio installer. I pd $130 or so for a 15' roll of them.
However, you can buy them all over ebay for $20. Most are shipped from China or Japan???? but some are shipped from here in the states in less time. Get the waterproof ones. They are encapsulated in silicone. I bought a roll of those for cockpit lighting and they are working just as well as my local purchased ones. Was skeptical of the cheaper ones and didn't want to have them burn out after spending the time to install them in the speakers, so I bit the bullet. But 2 yrs later, both sets are going strong, no issues. Save your $$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.