Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
33/35 ride quality? >

33/35 ride quality?

Notices

33/35 ride quality?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been on a 35 lightning. Haven't had one out yet. My point is everytime someone asks about a boat a guy with a cig chimes in acting like no other boat should be allowed to come off the trailer. Like the cig is some mystical creation. It just gets annoying. I've talked to enough people with different boats to know they are comparable. A 38 fountain and 38 cig are comparable. Yes I know there is a 2 ft difference because of platform. Notice I said comparable not identical.

On another note its not every person with a cig but a few who are relentless.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

I personally would be bored in an older straight bottom boat (38-40ft) that topped out at 65-70mph and would rather have a smaller boat (30-35) that did in the 80's with decent power, especially for inland lakes. I think the OP is going the right way with a 33 Fountain or something like a 32 Hustler. If I was going to buy an older performance boat, I would be very hard pressed to look at Cigs just because they were sooo heavy and needed a ton of power to go anywhere.

My take on the whole deal is if you are buying a performance boat that does not go any faster than the low 70's, you mind as well get a center console, bolt some 300's on it and run by those old pigs while burning less fuel.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Adam how would you compare a 33 Powerplay to a 33/35 fountain??
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I've been on a 35 lightning. Haven't had one out yet. My point is everytime someone asks about a boat a guy with a cig chimes in acting like no other boat should be allowed to come off the trailer. Like the cig is some mystical creation. It just gets annoying. I've talked to enough people with different boats to know they are comparable. A 38 fountain and 38 cig are comparable. Yes I know there is a 2 ft difference because of platform. Notice I said comparable not identical.

On another note its not every person with a cig but a few who are relentless.
what my point is RUNNING surface drastically changes the ride of the boat. a foot long beek and a 2 foot swim platform may give the overall length YES i agree with that but how does that change the amount of boat running across the water or spanning waves. and talking straight bottom to straight bottom a fountain isnt light years faster than a top gun with comparable power. sure Rons 38 stepped hull with warmed up 575's is faster than my 87 38 top gun with 750's but thats not comparing apples to apples. take a old 86 40ft fountain which takes a nuclear powerplant to get moving is more of a comparable. put a pr of 750's in it and see how she runs. i know the answer to that first hand too.. not from talking to "guys"
Old 04-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88bullet
Adam how would you compare a 33 Powerplay to a 33/35 fountain??
33 Powerplay will eat a 33/35 Fountain in rough water. The 33PP is one of those boats, like a 41 Apache, that for one reason or another is just "right". Years ago when PP was still in business, most of the customers were the type of guys who had been through the big name boats and ended up with a PP. That tells you something. The 33 was built from day one as an offshore race boat, based on the 32 Cobra, which in its day used to put some bigger boats in their place when it got bumpy.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
what my point is RUNNING surface drastically changes the ride of the boat. a foot long beek and a 2 foot swim platform may give the overall length YES i agree with that but how does that change the amount of boat running across the water or spanning waves. and talking straight bottom to straight bottom a fountain isnt light years faster than a top gun with comparable power. sure Rons 38 stepped hull with warmed up 575's is faster than my 87 38 top gun with 750's but thats not comparing apples to apples. take a old 86 40ft fountain which takes a nuclear powerplant to get moving is more of a comparable. put a pr of 750's in it and see how she runs. i know the answer to that first hand too.. not from talking to "guys"
I didn't say the old straight bottom was light years faster. Id love to know how a beak affects running surface? Last time I looked at any boat either at idle or on plane the bow isn't in the water. Most boats run on the last few feet on plane. Pull a string line from the beak to keel you aren't missing enough material to make a luck if difference.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Registered

You guys are arguing about something that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Before Reggie put his additions onto what he calls a 35, it started life as a 31 Excalibur and grew to 33 with the addition of the beak, A few years later it grew to 35 with the platform. So, Reggie added 4 feet to the boat between the beak and the platform.

So, for arguments sake, the 33/35 Fountain has about the same running surface as a 31 Bullet.

And using the same math, a 38 Cig has about the same running surface as a 42 Fountain (2 feet for the beak, 2 feet for the platform)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Cigarette = God
Fountain = Devil
Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
You guys are arguing about something that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Before Reggie put his additions onto what he calls a 35, it started life as a 31 Excalibur and grew to 33 with the addition of the beak, A few years later it grew to 35 with the platform. So, Reggie added 4 feet to the boat between the beak and the platform.

So, for arguments sake, the 33/35 Fountain has about the same running surface as a 31 Bullet.

And using the same math, a 38 Cig has about the same running surface as a 42 Fountain (2 feet for the beak, 2 feet for the platform)
I agree with you a little, but lets get the facts straight. It was a modified Excalibur mold, but it was also in fact stretched. The beak is barely a ft on my 38, no way it is 2 ft on a 35

Follow the line of the beak, and you will see in many cases the leading edge has a more abrupt line that a comparable non beak boat. I have proved this point on a trailer next to other boats. Nose to nose my running surface at idle reaches the water before a other boats of the same size. Not that it should matter seeing that we are all hanging the bow.

I still wonder why this matters. It is a constant punch line around here, yet the fact is fountains perform. We all sometimes want more boat, I don't car what you have. We also sometimes want less. This dude is coming from a 28 and this turned into a discussion that he needs a 42 to match a 35 café.....really?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

To the OP,,,,,,,,, if you are still reading.

As you can see asking something like this gets a bit "heated". Ride in the boat in the water you boat in and make up your own mind. If you buy a fountain, beware you will need thick skin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.