Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
charging battery with booster port under seat? >

charging battery with booster port under seat?

Notices

charging battery with booster port under seat?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent to Precision

Thanks for the part# HyFive.

This seems like a pretty good accompaniment to the receptacle - http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-4-AWG-GAU...-/181360998106

Last edited by Cole2534; 04-14-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a note- If you are using a modern automatic battery charger that measures both voltage and resistance for peak charge (AGM rated) the batteries will not get a full charge through this port.

I really need to wire my boat for shore power and install a marine charger, PIA for sure.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
I use two separate "float" chargers, one on each battery. They are 1.25 amp. units. This may be overkill but by hooking it up to the booster cable port you are assuming that both batteries need the same charge.
At $40 each an extra charger is not a big expense.
I've used one of those chargers to float 2 Interstate 27M-XHD marine batteries in the off season and have not bought a battery in 5 years. This summer will be their 6th year. 1000 marine cranking amps for my 525s.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
I use two separate "float" chargers, one on each battery. They are 1.25 amp. units. This may be overkill but by hooking it up to the booster cable port you are assuming that both batteries need the same charge.
At $40 each an extra charger is not a big expense.
A charger hooked to the jump ports sees both of your batteries as 1 bank and will charge both as needed. I don't think that charger can over charge a battery.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Just a note- If you are using a modern automatic battery charger that measures both voltage and resistance for peak charge (AGM rated) the batteries will not get a full charge through this port.

I really need to wire my boat for shore power and install a marine charger, PIA for sure.
Ron,

The battery charger that came with my boat was dead and I replaced it with one of these.. http://promariner.com/products/water...nament-series/ (Direct replacement for what I had). These units come with a standard 15 amp plug connected so you can just plug them in to any standard power source. You could just get a 30 amp male to 15 amp female shore power pigtail adaptor and heavy duty extension cord to plug in the battery charger rather than install shore power just for the charger..
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Ron,

The battery charger that came with my boat was dead and I replaced it with one of these.. http://promariner.com/products/water...nament-series/ (Direct replacement for what I had). These units come with a standard 15 amp plug connected so you can just plug them in to any standard power source. You could just get a 30 amp male to 15 amp female shore power pigtail adaptor and heavy duty extension cord to plug in the battery charger rather than install shore power just for the charger..
Thanks Neil,

It's on my list of upgrades. However I wanted to do shore power and a galvanic isolator to be safe in the water. Currently I only charge on land.

I can't believe how much time and money you have already put into that almost new monster, you have a disease for sure
Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Thanks Neil,

It's on my list of upgrades. However I wanted to do shore power and a galvanic isolator to be safe in the water. Currently I only charge on land.

I can't believe how much time and money you have already put into that almost new monster, you have a disease for sure
Oh, I'm crazy for sure and have done a lot of cosmetic stuff to put my own stamp on it but there were also a lot of things that I chose to fix preventatively so I can enjoy the season, the charger being one of them; removing and pressure testing headers, etc.. The boat is 4 years newer than my 38 but there were a number of things that were in worse shape believe it or not. e.g., the seawater plumbing hoses were all leaking through the outer casings (replaced all of those).. center drive shifter cable was shot.. two of the drive indicator cables had frayed through so I replaced all drive and trim tab cables while we pulling new ones, some gauges weren't working, lots of corroded parts, etc... .. The good news is, I finally feel like I've found a boat that I can be happy with and keep for a very long time... I had her out this past weekend, she runs great and the family and friends all LOVE her!!!

sorry for the hijack..
Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Oh, I'm crazy for sure and have done a lot of cosmetic stuff to put my own stamp on it but there were also a lot of things that I chose to fix preventatively so I can enjoy the season, the charger being one of them; removing and pressure testing headers, etc.. The boat is 4 years newer than my 38 but there were a number of things that were in worse shape believe it or not. e.g., the seawater plumbing hoses were all leaking through the outer casings (replaced all of those).. center drive shifter cable was shot.. two of the drive indicator cables had frayed through so I replaced all drive and trim tab cables while we pulling new ones, some gauges weren't working, lots of corroded parts, etc... .. The good news is, I finally feel like I've found a boat that I can be happy with and keep for a very long time... I had her out this past weekend, she runs great and the family and friends all LOVE her!!!

sorry for the hijack..
Saw the videos......she is a runner! Just poking at you, I am the same way. Breaking down do to lack of maintenance or ignorance mid summer is no fun.

I am glad you like it and plan to keep it, because you don't have much room to go UP from where you are now
Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
A charger hooked to the jump ports sees both of your batteries as 1 bank and will charge both as needed. I don't think that charger can over charge a battery.
I tend to agree specially with a battery charger made in the last 15 years or so. $40 isnt a huge exspense for a charger, but its not needed to have two.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I am adding shore power and the charger I have can charge up to 3 banks independently.

When I used the charge port I just set it up in the mode that gives you higher current by using two of the independent chargers. Independent is better as the charger can tell a difference in each of the batteries but for what this guy wants to do the charge port worked fine for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.