Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Thinking about getting 29 fever >

Thinking about getting 29 fever

Notices

Thinking about getting 29 fever

Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a fact, friend left his 32 in the water in front of his house. He is on a no wake part of a small lake, boat sunk. He doesn't leave it In water now.
Sorry if you find this offensive.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain27ho496
I have a fact, friend left his 32 in the water in front of his house. He is on a no wake part of a small lake, boat sunk. He doesn't leave it In water now.
Sorry if you find this offensive.
no not offensive at all,,
so why did it sink? bad bellows?drain plug fell off?rained and filled up with water and bilge pumps did not work?someone stuck a hose in the engine compartment and filled it up with water? any boat can sink ,the 32 was design to sit low in the water not sink,

so if your buddys was tied up on a no wake area how did it sink,could not have been from waves crashing over the rear
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, there was a mechanical failure that caused that 32 to sink. And more than likely any boat would have sunk. Unless thats what he told his insurance guy. I've had a lot of waves hit mine from the back and never a problem. Enough people on back the swim platform was under, still not a problem.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 32. It doesn't take on water. It is often full of fuel, people, coolers, etc... And no sinking. Personally I like the sound of twin big blocks and being over 30'. There is always someone bigger, but there are a chit load smaller then 30'. If we wanted to be efficient, we'd buy pontoons. Just saying
Old 05-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered

Water went in the vents. Bilge eventually killed batterys the rest is history. Not trying to piss anyone off. He was at the sand bar with me one day and his pump was on and off all day. 2001 with 500"s My pump hasn't gone on in 12 years. He did have people sitting on the pad but I do that every time.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain27ho496
Water went in the vents. Bilge eventually killed batterys the rest is history. Not trying to piss anyone off. He was at the sand bar with me one day and his pump was on and off all day. 2001 with 500"s My pump hasn't gone on in 12 years. He did have people sitting on the pad but I do that every time.
I agree with keeping things civil. To be fair, his pump was on and off all day. It sounds like he had a leak which will cause any boat to sink when the batteries die. As the boat goes down, it gets in the vents, and boom you have a submarine. And it is not best practice to leave a leaking boat in the water. As the owner of my marina always says, "never rely on your bilge pump to keep your boats up." He has seen all sizes and makes sink over the years. Sorry for your friends misfortune. I hope it worked out.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

Maybe one day you should look at how the vents are hooked up under the engine hatch and then you will realize what you are saying makes no sense

Last edited by boatnt; 05-22-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those vents are connected to tubes that go up inside the gunnel. If water was entering those vent tubes to the point of running out the other end, the hatch would have been under water a long time before hand. The ONLY exception would have been if the inside tubes had not been sealed against the vent openings or if the hull/deck joint wasn't sealed (very common problem with the 32's) But to have a pump going off all the time, the owner shoulda been a little curious as to why and what needs to be done to fix. But if the rub rail joint and the vent tubes were sealed, no it can't sink from either of those 2 areas.

BTW, my bilge pump has never gone off either. I sealed the rub rail joint when I 1st bought my boat caused it leaked a little. My bilge is 100% dry, 100% all the time since. A tube of 5200 can save a boat.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Those vents are connected to tubes that go up inside the gunnel. If water was entering those vent tubes to the point of running out the other end, the hatch would have been under water a long time before hand.
exactly my point,,
Old 05-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

I stand corrected. It probably was leaking at joint behind rub rail. I told him it wasn't ok and to look into it. btw it didn't sink the same day it was on the sand bar. Nice guy but new boater. Probably would have been avoided if addressed after sand bar issue. Thanks for keeping this a healthy conversation. I know its a sore spot for some. Enjoy the weekend. JC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.