Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time >

Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time

Notices

Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time

Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And this is pulled from the smart data via a computer mechanics use to plug in?

This sounds like an interesting report!!!

I'll ask my mechanic about this tomorrow...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryama1124
And this is pulled from the smart data via a computer mechanics use to plug in?

This sounds like an interesting report!!!

I'll ask my mechanic about this tomorrow...
Correct, all minutes will be shown at what rpm range the engine was at for each minute. You could have 200 hrs of idle time

Personally I think 400 hrs is too low of an interval to get into the lower of a lightly used recreational boat. You hour scan will show if the boat has been used like a racer or a cruiser
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

4bus and Barryama,

Do your boats have the same paint scheme?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

lol I just noticed that they are similar but not the same.....good catch lol
Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Registered

I wouldn't touch them until after the season but I want this report for sure....This is awesome !!!!!!! If my mechanic doesn't have this unit to pull the report, can I purchase one? Whats the actual name of the computer? Im sure I can research it but you probably already know....

Man this tell the story about your boat without question and if as per your analogy with 200 hrs of idle time, I wouldn't rip them apart until 600 hours lol
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't touch them until after the season but I want this report for sure....This is awesome !!!!!!! If my mechanic doesn't have this unit to pull the report, can I purchase one? Whats the actual name of the computer? Im sure I can research it but you probably already know....

Man this tell the story about your boat without question and if as per your analogy with 200 hrs of idle time, I wouldn't rip them apart until 600 hours lol

Scantool or software can be bought from Rinda Technologies Inc.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marinemenu.htm
Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Absolutely correct. I would look at doing the valve springs and top end refresh instead of full rebuild at this time.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I spoke to my mechanic and he confirmed that 500 hrs is pretty standard for a rebuild on the 525's. He said that I'd be looking at about 10K using existing blocks but highly recommended I flip for new blocks.

The difference in price on the build is about 4K each however he did say that a new block comes with a 1 year warranty plus my old blocks can be sold for $2500 (each if I understood him correctly) That said, bottom line would be an additional $3k out of pocket (if I had a taker for mine at $5k) to have engines rebuilt with new blocks.

Make sense to you guys?
Have your engines ever had any top end work? Your mechanic advises total top and botton rebuild at 500 hrs? Just curious. I have 330 hrs on my 525s with no problems running great and probably will have just springs changed this fall if comp check is good.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
4bus and Barryama,

Do your boats have the same paint scheme?
No, mine has a queer 80's fade in the back, and his has a more modern transition line. The funny thing is I saw a pic of his boat last year and was considering changing mine to that before I realized how close he is to me
Old 05-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Big block bottom ends take a very long time to just wear out. Most time bottoms ends are gone into is through catastrophic failure. Dropping a valve, water ingestion or something along those lines.

I have a friend with a 90 42 Oneanddone on here. Over 600 hrs on stock bottom ends. 454 with blowers. They are basically 525sc clones. Just got new cams and valve trains from Madera. Boat runs like a champ and still has great numbers. Unless you have a low compression check I'd personally roll with bottom ends but stay up on top ends and headers to avoid catastrophic failure.

Last edited by Crude Intentions; 05-07-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.