Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time

Notices

Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time

Old 05-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time

Hi All,

Can somebody give me an idea when its time to rebuild your 525's? I have 400 hours on each and everything runs like a dream however I was told at 500 hours, you should expect to have to swap out the blocks and rebuild..... is this true or is somebody just yapping that has no clue?

As usual, all advice is welcome. PS I don't beat the crap out of my machine, its treated with love so not a racing balls out full throttle rampage every time its o the water.

Thanks in advance!

Barry
Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Probably time to go thru the top ends. Valve springs, retainers etc.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Was the 250 hr top end service done?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Registered

Hi Rob, I'm not sure however the Mechanic that works on my boat is one of 2 recognized in the province of Quebec. He does all the major names when their in town or close town. Huge shop filled with only racing boats. That said, I would think he would have mentioned work that needs to be done either last year when he tuned and checked everything out after the season and before storage. He was the mechanic that worked on the boat for the previous owner so I can only assume that it was done but I'll ask to be sure. Additionally, when I brought the boat to his place last year, I made it clear to check everything out and do, fix, repair, replace anything the boat needs to give a clean bill of health. Cost me $2400 and there was no mention of any major work last fall.

I just brought the boat back to him now to buff out the water marks on deck (acid rain is a killer) and get it back to pristine white now that I have a custom fit cover to protect the entire boat through the summer. There was no mention or heads up about engine rebuilds however, I'll run it by him when I pick up my boat next week.

All I've heard about is how incredible the 525's are built and how long they last unless of course your beating it daily with racing etc....

Barry
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered

Hey Sonic, thanks for your reply. My response to Rob addresses your comment.

Have super day
Barry
Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have 525s with 280 hrs. Over the winter a top end refresh was done. There has been some failure of lifters and valve springs around the 250 hr refresh time documented since the 525 introduction. So heads were removed and gone thru, new lifters, valve springs installed. Inspection on the motor internals that can be assessed with the heads off. Headers pressure checked at CMI for cracks, this is highly recommended periodically to do during the life off the headers to avoid engine failure. Also had the fuel injectors tested to get the best performance and for maintenance. 500hrs is the recommended full teardown and rebuild. Depending on parts and who is doing the work you should be at $7k-$10k for this service. Hope this answers some questions for you.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered

Super helpful......I'll be sure to ask my Mechanic if he performed any major work on them in the past and see what he'll charge for for a full teardown at the end of this coming season. 7 to 10K is for both or each?

Thx in advance
Barry
Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Sorry about that, both for that $. Have a conversation with your mechanic, maybe just do the top ends depending on the history of idle time versus WOT? If your like me I like the peace of mind knowing everything is better than new at all times. The headers and valve springs are the most important right now for you followed by the lifters.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just refreshed the top ends on mine. 250 hrs or so on the motors. Yours are probably the older version which tend to have more issues. The later ones had some upgrades and can go a little longer. I have not seen anything on the lifters so I'm not sure about that. Here's a helpful thread. As far as rebuild I was told quite a bit more than $7k total. More like $12K each. Probably a lot of variables and prices out there.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...any-hours.html
Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by drksuroo
I just refreshed the top ends on mine. 250 hrs or so on the motors. Yours are probably the older version which tend to have more issues. The later ones had some upgrades and can go a little longer. I have not seen anything on the lifters so I'm not sure about that. Here's a helpful thread. As far as rebuild I was told quite a bit more than $7k total. More like $12K each. Probably a lot of variables and prices out there.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...any-hours.html
Prices I put up were for top end, not full rebuild

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.