Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Used Twin Step 35 Lightning prices? >

Used Twin Step 35 Lightning prices?

Notices

Used Twin Step 35 Lightning prices?

Old 05-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Twin Step 35 Lightning prices?

Ok guys, just toying around with the idea but I'm really liking the early 2000's twin step 35 lightnings. From my browsing I see some for say $70k and then a similar one for $90k. Obviously I don't know what they would actually sell for but what is a fair and realistic price range for these boats with mild power such as the 496HO or 500EFI boats? Would the 500 fall into the expensive Mercury blue race motor maintenance catagory? Also, if you guys came from other brands how hard is it to get used to the left hand throttles? Thanks for any info in advance, Chris.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The left hand thing is no big deal, just takes some time around docking. Still reach with my right hand once in a while. Pricing, it depends the range you posted is about right. 500EFI are blue motors and are great engines in some ways better (in my opinion) than the 525 because of the header issue on the 525's . Many things come into play, trailer, hours, condition of boat and how much someone wants it gone.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

I always had boats with right hand throttle and thought the left would be strange. Didn't take long and to tell the truth I really wouldn't want a right hand anymore.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had both and prefer the left hand throttles for sure. When backing into a slip, makes it much easier to face the stern and access the throttles and shifters. All motors you mentioned are good but I'd prefer 500EFI's over 496HO's and as far as the 500 vs 525 comment, putting the header issues aside, the 525 is a better motor for a number of reasons not the least of which is closed cooling. You're not likely to find 525's though in older 35 Lightnings. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
The left hand thing is no big deal, just takes some time around docking. Still reach with my right hand once in a while. Pricing, it depends the range you posted is about right. 500EFI are blue motors and are great engines in some ways better (in my opinion) than the 525 because of the header issue on the 525's . Many things come into play, trailer, hours, condition of boat and how much someone wants it gone.
By mid june you will hop on a another brand, go to the helm, and think the right hand feels weird I am not sure can drive a right hand boat now lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, I think that the 35 is about the perfect boat for us. Good balance of safety, power and size. I'll have to learn twins and left hand at the same time. One other question, we almost always anchor off the front. The only way to access that area is walking around the rail or climbing through the hatch correct? Is this a big issue for anyone? Any other issues with these boats to look for being used?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

I just got a 2002 35 Lighting with 500 EFI's in. It was a friends, He died in a jeep accident. Give me a call, It's going to be cheap.

Carey Downs
662-415-5350