changing stock manifolds 502's >

changing stock manifolds 502's

Notices

changing stock manifolds 502's

Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing stock manifolds 502's

Hello: looking for some advice 1998 ,32 foot fountain with twin 502's. What's the best way to change the stock manifolds for some stainless steel manifolds? Is it possible to change the manifolds without removing engines? Is it easier to remove the engines? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. John
Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Registered

You can put them on without removing the engines. I removed the port seapump which gives you more inside room. Just be ready to get scratched up and bleed some. While your at it a good time to replace your plugs. Once you get them on heat the engines up then retighten your bolts or you will blow out your gaskets. Also spend the money on good header gaskets.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on what tbrown15239 said.

Go ahead and do your plug wires and cap / rotors while you do the plugs. Last time I did that job I took a white scotch guard pad to the heads around the exhaust ports and spark plug areas and hit it all with a light coat of paint to prevent any surface rust around those areas. Might as well why you have the room. Document the work and put it in a binder for records. Always an impressive selling feature if you sell the boat. I've always had a good response with that in the past. just started a binder for the new (used) fountain

Good luck--
Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Registered

Thank you at work on the high sea's, Starting to get everything together for the job. 45 days ago i had one of the elbows get a little hotter the the other 3, I did remove the hot elbow cleaned it up an put it back on. but still running a little hotter the the others. On the hose 3 were at 86* the hot one 106*. So i thinking it's time to replace the stock exhaust. Fresh water boat, Going with SS marine exhaust with my silent. Will change cap rotor, wires. at the same time. Thanks again John PS go to e-bay to see my Opel Gt