Forward cabin water >

Forward cabin water

Notices

Forward cabin water

Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward cabin water

I have a 2000 38 Lightning and I know the water does not flow from front to rear bilge. I have a brand new bilge pump under my step into the cabin. How or where does the water get in the front portion or I guess a better questions where is it leaking if from? Deck fittings? Anchor box hatch? My two regular cockpit hatches are not leaking. Help????
Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is where yours is leaking but my windshield was leaking in the center where it is attached to deck. Two piece base and two piece gasket right in the center. It was leaking where the two pieces meet and down the cuddy door. I guess the door doesn't seal that good.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people have said it will go forward and rest. Mine came from the bow railings, took them off and sealed. Other places I have hear are, anchor locker, cleans, bow light and winshield. Before you go to far I would get behind somethings, which may take some removal of some items, but if the water is in fact coming from the top, i.e. railings etc. there should be some water stains showing it. When your looking at specific items, have somebody else blast that area with a hose while your looking.

But if your boat is stored under cover or has a good cover on it, then the water has to be coming in when your driving ,which means its rolling forward.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

In my 42 my cooler and sinks drain into the front step bilge. I have fount the best way to get it all to the pump or even back over the steps is to try to get on plain with the drives at 3 or 4 and the tabs all the way up. It really makes the boat stand up and direct any water to the back of the boat.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered

You are not the first person to ask this question. I don't want to steal your thread but I have the same problem when it's in the water and on top of that the engine area takes on water over time when it's in the water. Does anyone know what the rubber plugged chrome fitting is for halfway forward on the port side, right about at the water line? I'm curious if that's the problem.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Is it a sink drain? Post a pic.

Originally Posted by fordf350
You are not the first person to ask this question. I don't want to steal your thread but I have the same problem when it's in the water and on top of that the engine area takes on water over time when it's in the water. Does anyone know what the rubber plugged chrome fitting is for halfway forward on the port side, right about at the water line? I'm curious if that's the problem.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fordf350
You are not the first person to ask this question. I don't want to steal your thread but I have the same problem when it's in the water and on top of that the engine area takes on water over time when it's in the water.
Haven't you heard? Fountains run on water.
Does anyone know what the rubber plugged chrome fitting is for halfway forward on the port side, right about at the water line? I'm curious if that's the problem.
Mine on the port side it plumbed into the forward bilge pump. The starboard pump is plumbed to the sink in the head.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

I don't know your exact layout but I assume that your shower and a/c overflow go there. I have 2 pumps under the steps in my cabin and that's where the water from those 2 places goes. I expect that your pump is bad, let me finish, on mine everything checked out and the pumps worked as they should except that when the water reached a certain level the main pump would not come on from some unknown reason. I replaced both pumps and now I have no issues. With the A/C on during humid days there is a lot of water that accumulates, my guess is that you have same problem. If you don't have A/C of shower then nothing I have said will help. Colored water will help you find an exterior leak. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep my 2002 38 inside, it rarely sees rain, is almost never wet washed, and I still get water in the forward bilge. The sink in the bathroom is plumbed to the same line as the front bilge pump, if you use that sink install a one way valve on the hose because the water will flow to the bilge while it is trying to get out of the boat. The sink and cooler on the other side are plumbed directly to the drain on port.

Recently when doing some stereo work I found standing water in the gun whale area. Which most likely got there from a wet wash of the cockpit. With the side panel off, go all the way forward and you will see a drop down to another level. I used a shop vac and pulled about 2 gallons of water out of that area. The other side has my sub box in it, so I lowered the trailer down all the way and sure enough that water went to the bilge under the step and was pumped out. Since then water in my front bilge has been minimal.

My anchor locker is sealed, and has its own drain.

Rail bolts can be accessed under light valances, I found no signs of water leaking in that area.

Windshield frame was poorly sealed from factory. And the rubber sandwich strips that hold the glass wear out over time. No silicone was used on my windshield frame from the factory, just two strips of weather sealing with screws down the middle. I replaced what was there in the same exact manner, but I get pooling on the inner deck near the frame if I get caught in the rain and put the cover on. Really considering having a new cover made that goes over the windshield frame to the deck.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Registered

Thought I had found and cured my standing water problem but no I haven't. My boat stays on a lift under roof so I think there is a loose fitting or bad hose. Will let you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.