Fountain Cockpit Carpet Mildew Smell >

Fountain Cockpit Carpet Mildew Smell

Notices

Fountain Cockpit Carpet Mildew Smell

Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan Matt
Thanks guys I am getting an ionizer tomorrow and doing the baking soda scrub.

Matt
Good luck let us know!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! I thought it was just my carpet

Here is what I did, after trying about 5 things that didn't work.

I purchased some mean green mildew and shower cleaner with bleach from dollar general. I tested the spay on the corner of the carpet and it doesn't bleach my navy blue carpet, I literally dumped a cap full in one spot, let it sit for 15 mins, washed and vacuumed out...no bleach? So don't be afraid.

First, clean the underside with the mold and mildew spray. The rubber can hold spores too. Next flip (I did this on the tiles of the kitchen floor) and spray the entire top side with the shower cleaner. I then next mixed 3 parts water with one part cleaner and got on my hands and knees and scrubbed with a brush. When done I shop vac'd twice to extract water. Left on floor for the night to air dray flat. And then the next day I left it air dry flat outside on the deck.

To avoid this in the future I now always put the carpet in the cabin if rain is coming, even tho I am going to cover the boat I still don't take the chance. And if the carpet gets really wet for the day u make sure it is propped up so it can dry when I store the boat for the week, otherwise it will come back

It does smell like someone's dirty feet when bad! And the smell sinks to the cabin level so you smell it all night sleeping...I almost burned the carpet before I tried the above method

Last edited by 4bus; 09-17-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Wow! I thought it was just my carpet

It does smell like someone's dirty feet when bad!
Maybe its cuz all those little skin flakes fallin' and rubbin' off'n them skanks feet as they dance and carry on on that carpet year after year...
Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

New carpet (without Fountain logo) was $300 shipped.

Originally Posted by Michigan Matt
You are the 2nd person to tell me this. I think I am gonna give it a shot be fore I order new carpet. Tried the steam cleaner didn't work.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine cleaned at a detail shop for that same reason.

To prevent the smell I always leave an inexpensive fan from wal mart and a dehumidifier from west marine running while not using. I also leave my rear bench folded forward to dry out ropes, life jackets etc. I store my boat in a carport during summer and I have to leave my cover on the boat to keep out dirt and debri so it traps the heat and air and keeps it very dry and mold/mildew free. I wish I had a tall enough garage so I could just open everything up and not have to cover it everytime but that's not an option right now.

Had good success so far. I just change the fan out every few months so it doesn't lock up and become a fire hazard.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a ionizer.they work.anything that will get cat piss out of a cars carpet sold me.they are not cheap.you also have to be carefull.you can burn your lungs breathing too much ionized air.i bought one a few years ago.i own a hvac company and sometime things get spilled/leaks.it has saved me $$ more than a few times.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

When I bought the boat I have now, few years back, the cockpit carpet had a real skank to it. The dealer told me that they had a few with that problem and had a new one on the way to me as soon as I bought the boat. They, East Coast Flightcraft, said they had no luck in the past with the smell, but that new would fix it. They were 100% correct. There are still some honest dealers in the world, lucky me!

P.S. My salesman had told me that they felt there was a problem with the cockpit carpet for a model year or so, his term was that the carpet would smell like azz, dump it and replace it, never had a problem here since.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 09-17-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
Maybe its cuz all those little skin flakes fallin' and rubbin' off'n them skanks feet as they dance and carry on on that carpet year after year...
The funny thing is my 36 OL carpet, which was twice as thick (very nice) would get soaked, spilled drinks, pissed on, whatever.....never smelled. Something with this Fountain carpet traps the mold.....it's terrible. Another reason to pick a Baja over a Fountain hahaha
Old 09-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
When I bought the boat I have now, few years back, the cockpit carpet had a real skank to it. The dealer told me that they had a few with that problem and had a new one on the way to me as soon as I bought the boat. They, East Coast Flightcraft, said they had no luck in the past with the smell, new would fix it. They were 100% correct. There are still some honest dealers in the world, lucky me!
Well I can tell you the knock of tilex with bleach cures it, I would have threw mine out and bought new had it not. In fact it smells better now than it did new out of the package.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Well I can tell you the knock of tilex with bleach cures it, I would have threw mine out and bought new had it not. In fact it smells better now than it did new out of the package.
I can believe this, I have rental units and Tilex with bleach will kill the stench of most any low life POS!!!
Womerful chit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.