Hard time filling fuel tank >

Hard time filling fuel tank

Notices

Hard time filling fuel tank

Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard time filling fuel tank

My 27' does not like taking gas at the pump for some reason. Every time I fill it up, I always end up with fuel all over me, the boat, and the ground. Fuel blows back out of the fill port and the vent line constantly. I have to barely squeeze the handle on the nozzle and hold it so that nozzle is just inside of the filler neck. Doing that helps, but it also takes forever to put 40 or 50 gallons in the boat this way. Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it ? I have considered running another vent line off of the tank to possibly let the air escape more easily. Any thoughts ?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

It has to do with the fact that sitting on a trailer the vent and fill necks become covered with fuel and won't allow proper air evacuation as you fill. They take gas much better sitting in the water. I have a good friend that will sometimes unhitch his and jack the trailer sky high in the front when fueling and it helps.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Registered

That makes sense. So there's no real way to solve it without tank modifications ?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some success with a fairly stiff 1/2" plastic tube down the filler neck to the tank. It needs to curl back up into the air space. My 33 Baja was terrible with this problem. For some reason my 42 Fountain is not.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Yup. Gas is either in your vent or getting in your vent. Sounds to me, as mentioned above, your vent is not at an air space in your tank when filling. May need to raise/lower boat angle when getting gas.

Always make sure the vent is not restricted by debris/insects and that there are no sharp kinks in vent line too.

Edit in: Read post below by 79 Formula. Have run into this with several boats....and not just older boats !

Last edited by SB; 11-19-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem with my Formula. Turned out the fuel fill hose had sagged on one spot, acting like a P-Trap on a sink. I put another strap on the hose so it couldn't sag there, problem solved. Drove me nuts for 2 years, It was only drooped about 1 inch too.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:32 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Highball - I also had a boat where the fuel fill hose and vent line followed the floor for a few feet. These being horizontal would obviously also trap fuel. I put a downward slope on them and it took care of them. Many times, riggers of new boats do things without always thinking of the consequences of when in use.

Like I say in my shop alot when someone asks why a manufacturer or another repair shop does a certain thing " Well, there was a reason for it, however it's not always a good reason."
Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Registered

I've got to change my drive oil this weekend, so that will give me a chance to look into some of the ideas that y'all have given me.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Spiders tend to clog the vent outlets. I clean mine 3-4 a season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.