Cutting Down Windshield on a 42 Lightning >

Cutting Down Windshield on a 42 Lightning

Notices

Cutting Down Windshield on a 42 Lightning

Old 01-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Down Windshield on a 42 Lightning

This is the first thing I knew I wanted to do to my boat, I think the high windshield doesn't match the lines of the boat - which in my opinion are some of the nicest lines of any boat. Plus I want to paint it black and needed to repair the dash of the boat so the windshield had to come off anyways.

So I did my research, searched the forum for all the threads explaining how to do it - didn't find any lol.

Then I asked a friend of a friend and fellow OSOr who's done it - he strongly advised me not to do it.

And then I found a local guy who has some experience with boat windshields who is going to tackle it.

Hopefully everything will work out! lol

Just did the measuring and setting up today. Went down roughly 6" on the front middle piece. This height seemed to make the most sense so that when I'm sitting I can see through and standing see over and still leaves a fair amount of windshield to deflect as much air while still not looking like a high top shoe. The angles all change and it take a lot of back and forth to make sure that things are level both ways. The angles on the side braces will need to be redone and the rear where it curves up to meet the top bar will have to be cut as well. Also we will either have to find new top rails or make an extension piece about 6" long. I will be getting new lightly tinted lexan as well.

I'll post as many pics of the process as I can.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

subscribed
Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

cant wait to see this!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looks nice . Are you going to be able to re use the front part of the glass.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Registered

Thanks Bruce. I likely could but I've been told that you can get sheets of lexan at a reasonable price. Since he's going to be cutting it anyways I figure its worth a little bit more cost to get fresh lexan, going to go with a little bit of tint too.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

looks better already! when is she heading to Mitcher T?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Registered

dropped her off yesterday, I'll post up a final rendering soon, pretty damn excited
Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Were you directly involved with cutting the frame and lexan down? If so, share the gory details!

Mine needs to be painted - if I'm going to disassemble for paint, might as well cut it down. But I've heard horror stories of reassembling the windshield - I guess its a major pain in the a$$??
Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

Finally started re-installing it back on the boat last night.

It definitely is not an easy job to get the curved piece back in the frame, lots of elbow grease, dish-soap, and swearing. But we got it in eventually and the other side will go smoother after doing it once.

The bad news - we cut the lexan for the side pieces to short - doh! have to laugh at it its so stupid lol. Now I have to drive 3 hours to get another 4x8 sheet. The lexan is super easy to work with and cuts with a jig saw no problem. It also doesn't matter if the cuts are straight or exact - once its in the frame you can't tell what the edge looks like and there is a good 1-1.5" of frame.

I am lucky that I know a guy who has some experience with windshields. The tricky part is in mocking it all up and getting the angles right and cutting everything right. If you move one piece up a quarter inch it can throw the whole thing off, it has to be level and straight on two different axises and there are like 5 pivot points.

I'm not done yet but seeing it with the frame black and cut down back on I feel like it will be worth all the headaches in the end.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.