Towing a 29 >

Towing a 29

Notices

Towing a 29

Old 04-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Towing a 29

Those of you that have a 29 what are you towing them with. I have the itch to look for a new boat and thinking that going backwards from the 10 meter to a 29 with twins may fit the bill for right now. I have a 2014 crew cab 1500 Silverado and was wondering if it would pull it. Always pulled the 10 meter with 3/4 or 1 ton diesel trucks Let me know what you are using pros or cons.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother pulled his 29 with an 07 Durango...did the job. I pull my 28 AT with a 1/2 ton Nissan Titan. It tows beautifully. You will be fine I would imagine.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as my handle implies I like the F350 or whatever heavier truck suits you . I would rather have to much truck when needed, Than need it and not have it. Short wheel base one ton great for around the local ramps. Not so much on long trips. Long wheel base is best all around IMO. I think the 29 with twins on a steel trailer is over 3 tons so the torque of a diesel with twin turbos just makes it so effortless.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Registered

I Have always been the same way would rather have too much truck but I sold my f350 right before I sold my 10 meter and was driving junk that I was putting to much money into so the wife said go buy a new truck. So I ended up with a crew cab Silverado high country 1500. I was looking at a diesel when I bought this one and didn't have a plan on a new boat at the time and now I have the itch and the wife said we are not losing our ass on this new truck so its either buy and older truck to only tow the boat or buy a boat I can tow with the 1500. I figured a 29 would be fine being towed with a half ton.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Registered

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain crew 1/2 ton V8, tows my 29' single like there is nothing behind it. Can't speak about twins, but I can't imagine it's a huge difference. I've not had to travel up the hills of northern Michigan which could change my opinion if it was something you have to encounter in Ohio.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tow mine with a 15' sierra denal duramax. Makes light work of it. Had an 08 denali 1500 with a 6.2L previous to my new truck. Motor had no problem. But a 29 with twins gave the frame and brakes a run for its money. Local towing a 1500 will do. Longer hauls I would suggest a 3/4 ton. As said by others.... Better to have more truck. On the bright side I can now go bigger on the boat and not have to buy a new truck...
Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

IMHO, anything with twin engines needs to be towed with a 3/4 truck.

Twin BBC, or even SBC, including drives and hardware is LOT of tail wagging the dog; regardless of the entire load. All that bulk weight past the rear axles of the trailer getting into a sway or out of shape; leveraging the the trailer axles and then hitch as a fulcrum can whip a light (1/2 ton) truck all over the place. The suspensions in the 3/4 ton trucks are better equipped to control this than anything in the 1/2 ton space, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE CAPACITIES say. Not to mention the brakes being bigger and overall weight of the truck being greater; adding to "extra truck in reserve".

Remember, marketing folks write the brochures, not engineers.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-10-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Registered

I totally agree with sydwayz on this I do not believe what the manufacturers are telling people they can tow with half ton trucks. I have always towed larger things with at least a 3/4 ton. Oh well I guess I will just go buy an older 1 ton that I use only to tow the boat and buy a larger boat and keep the 1/2 ton as a daily driver. I do love how the new truck rides and drives I was only thinking of smaller boat to fit the truck but if it is not safe to tow with or if I do get into an accident and the insurance company tells me I am screwed cause I was towing with the wrong truck or worse if I would kill or injure some one I have too much to lose.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my $.02, and remember, advice is worth what you paid for it, I have yet to pull with my new 2015 big 4 door Silverado with the 5.3. But, I have pulled our 28' twin SBC behind both my 07 and 11 Avalanches with no problems at all! I have made a number of trips from Ft Wayne to Lake Cumberland with no issues and no scares. because I run in freshwater, I am a firm believer in my electric brakes on the trailer with a brake controller in the cab. towing without brakes on the trailer (when I bought this boat and brought it back from Lake of the Ozarks 9 hours away) was not safe. All it takes is some dickweed to pull out in front of you and you gotta slam on the brakes and then youre all done. Good luck in your endeavors,

tom
Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The big question put to me from my insurance company was a document I had to sign that my truck was rated by the manufacturer to tow my weight of the boat this got my attention and I went out and perched bigger.
Richard Cuny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.